RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 2.5" HDD in the ODD bay discussion

wwindowwss

sorry for the confusion, I have a 250gb SSD on the ODD bay for the OS (hence posting in this thread) and am using the SD card fix. I did with with a usb drive while waiting for my sd card to arrive and it worked fine. 

250gb Samsung Evo SSD on the ODD

Samsung 32gb uSD on the internal slot

3x 4TB WD reds (waiting for 4th)

8Gb Kingston RAM in addition to the 2Gb it came with

Windows 2012 R2 Essentials + Drivepool 

Bios and iLO all updated. Only things added to OS so far are drivepool, MS security essentials and the iLO interface software to get rid of the error in device manager. 

Got It!

Have you tried other microSD cards? I find that sometimes smaller, 16Gb or 8Gb, work better.

Have you tried the Samsung card to see if it will boot in another PC?

am beginning to wonder if it's the SD card. Only other I have is a 64gb sandisk for my action camera, bigger again but worth a try so will clear that out and give it a go. Or just leave the 16gb USB drive that's currently working fine. I was trying to keep the internal usb drive free as i wanted to fit a usb3 DVD drive for ripping CDs to the server but the likelyhood of me getting a 9,5mm one cheap (I am beginning to hate HP) means I will probably just use a normal slimline external one. 

I have noticed during my looking around the bios you can set the SD card priority over usb drives if anyone is looking for that. 

reason I went for a 32gb was to store backups of update files, drivers etc in case I ever needed them. Looks like that may have backfired if a smaller one works.

Edited by AndyL

am beginning to wonder if it's the SD card. Only other I have is a 64gb sandisk for my action camera, bigger again but worth a try so will clear that out and give it a go. Or just leave the 16gb USB drive that's currently working fine. I was trying to keep the internal usb drive free as i wanted to fit a usb3 DVD drive for ripping CDs to the server but the likelyhood of me getting a 9,5mm one cheap (I am beginning to hate HP) means I will probably just use a normal slimline external one. 

I have noticed during my looking around the bios you can set the SD card priority over usb drives if anyone is looking for that. 

reason I went for a 32gb was to store backups of update files, drivers etc in case I ever needed them. Looks like that may have backfired if a smaller one works.

Here is what I have done for the USB to SATA for a DVD:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7545-gen-8-usb-slim-sata-adapter-for-odd/

The boat from China can be slow, but:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-UJ162-UJ-162-6X-Blu-Ray-Player-Combo-BD-ROM-Slim-9-5mm-DVD-SATA-Drive-/261636353339?hash=item3ceabded3b:g:yhYAAOSwZkJUSUBc

an now it works. Still using the samsung

This time I went through the diskpart and then switched back to the disk manager to manually assign a drive letter (and label). then used the /force command when doing bootsect as it was telling me it had worked but throwing up an error.

Will do a few more reboots to make sure it's reliable. 

an now it works. Still using the samsung

This time I went through the diskpart and then switched back to the disk manager to manually assign a drive letter (and label). then used the /force command when doing bootsect as it was telling me it had worked but throwing up an error.

Will do a few more reboots to make sure it's reliable. 

Thats the adapter I was looking at. Just got to find a 9.5mm drive, blueray burner would be nice for permanent backups of some data. No idea why they put a 9.5mm drive bay there when there is plenty of room for a normal slim one. I do think it would be possible to fit one with a bit of hacking. If I go external I can always unhook it and use on another machine. 

edit: still working after a reboot and shuffling around drive letters (Drivepool now D and each drive F, G and H) to make it a bit neater. 

I did notice that accessing the drive data in the server manager is a lot faster so I suspect all was not right with the formatting of the microSD. 

Edited by AndyL

I had a similar issue with the microSD. Initially I tried using a 2GB SD, it worked. After reinstalling the Win 2012 R2 it didn't work, so (naturally) I did the whole procedure all over again. 3 times, it didn't work. I even tried other cards, one 8GB and another 16GB, both CL10. Nothing happened, even though the entire proceduse was succesful, without any errors reported.

I'm going to try it once more because that was before I patched the latest SPP, but if it doesn't work I will just use my MBR to HDD workaround.

So, the MicroSD/USB trick worked this time, but not with an SD. I may have a problem with the internal reader, as it wasn't recognising any cards. It worked with an USB stick from Kingston, the DTSE9H model.

Now there's another "issue". :) How can I hide the reserved partition and the USB stick?

Hi all

first post.. just want to say thank you to everyone for the info i have used lurking before i brought my Gen8 want to share something...

as i am aware ebay and some other places sell a cable like this

DSC03765w.jpg

i was going to spend 6 dollars and buy one but then i got to thinking

if you can find a sata power connector like before lying around ... just take the female end off the cable from the gen8 and wire it into the sata power connector like it is in the adapter cable i was able to do this in a couple of minutes.. im just confused as to why i have no seen anyone suggest people do this ?

CD011360A_zps56309990.jpg

That appears to be an easy straight forward solution. The only issue would be that it would void the warrant.

thats true... i guess if it ever did play up it would not take much to simply cap the ends again and feed back into the original end and i doubt they would notice