RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 2.5" HDD in the ODD bay discussion

wwindowwss

It looks like that it is possible to boot from the disk in the ODD bay while in AHCI mode.

Search for the posts of PabloEscobar here http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1092937&page=25

After updating to the latest bios, and playing around, I seem to have it sorted.

Disable Raid controller, and restart gives you extra boot options in the bios
Boot Drive needs to be Sata Controller #2

Once that was changed, its now booting of the SSD plugged into the ODD slot, and the 4 drives in the bay are recognised as regular old drives... huzzah

Did anyone here tried that?

Hiya chaps, thought I’d introduce myself rather than just randomly ask my questions as this is my first post and I’m new to the forum.

I’ve been lurking in this thread for advice and it has been a great help in pointing me in the right direction with my Gen8, but I am still a bit stuck and have made some noob errors on the way! I’m not from an IT background so am learning by reading, so please excuse if my jargon is not up to scratch and please correct me if I’m wrong in what I say.

Bit of background to my current hardware, I started with HP ProLiant Gen8 G1610T with 4gb ram (I do plan to upgrade this later) and bought two x 4tb WD reds. I was planning on installing 8.1pro on 1 drive with the second being the raid/mirror. That was my first mistake as I found out 8.1pro only recognises 2tb of the drive. The workaround for this is to convert the drives to GPT but to run the OS from the drive you need to boot to UEFI which the Gen8 doesn’t support. So I was back to square one.

This is where I came into this thread for a solution which I’m pretty sure I have found but am still unsure.

I thought I would install a spare 500gb 2.5” sata drive I have in the ODD and run 8.1pro on it, then separately reformat the 4tb reds to GPT so they can be set up in raid for my storage. (When space gets tight I will buy another two).

I purchased an ODD Hard drive caddy to house the drive and it fits/retains ok without the need for the bracket which was referred to earlier in the thread.

My problem is that I am unsure what cables to use to connect the drive to the Gen8 but I think I have two solutions so I wanted to check with you guys before I take the plunge.

1)      The caddy has a micro sata connector so if I use the cable mnbf9rca found I could add a sata to micro-sata connector to connect to the caddy? (not sure if the FDD 4pin can power a drive?)

2)      Or a cheaper option is to ignore the FDD 4pin connector, get a Molex splitter to split the molex power just under the ODD bay and add a micro-sata/sata/molex cable I found? (although the molex on the later only has 2 wires coming from it?)

I think either would be fine and apologies as I know this has been covered before but the different options have confused me a bit so if someone can clarify it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Edited by steveuk

Welcome to the Forums Steve!

I haven't used a ODD Hard Drive Caddy to install HDDs/SSDs in the ODD Space -- I've done it like this http://homeservershow.com/attaching-a-ssd-to-the-odd-sata-port-in-my-hp-proliant-gen8-microserver.html

You can check some of the links at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/where there are a number of other solutions -- I know there are people in the Forums who have used ODD Hard Drive Caddy's but don't recall where those threads are so I'd start on the links page 1st and maybe in the meantime someone else can jump in this with more info

Thanks Joe

I did see that link and scanned through the Gen8 links for a solution. However the only one i found using the caddy and the FDD involved cutting and soldering and that's not really for me.

I am sure either option would be fine and i think i will go with the molex splitter route, but just want to check if anyone else had done the same.

It looks like that it is possible to boot from the disk in the ODD bay while in AHCI mode.

Search for the posts of PabloEscobar here http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1092937&page=25

After updating to the latest bios, and playing around, I seem to have it sorted.

Disable Raid controller, and restart gives you extra boot options in the bios

Boot Drive needs to be Sata Controller #2

Once that was changed, its now booting of the SSD plugged into the ODD slot, and the 4 drives in the bay are recognised as regular old drives... huzzah

Did anyone here tried that?

I got it working that way only with Legacy Mode (IDE).

I'd like to try this. I am running in AHCI mode witg an SSD on the optical SATA port. I also have the latest ROM: J06 07/16/2015 but when I look at my "Boot Controller Order" I only have one option:

Boot%20Controller%20Order.png

Am I missing something?

As I understand it, you need to be running in B120i mode - which I initially hated the idea of, but providing you leave the HDD's in hot swap 1-4 unconfigured, they are just passed over to the OS anyway.

So just create a RAID0 with the drive attached to the ODD SATA and it should boot from that.

At least thats how I've done a fair number of these... even boxes running ZFS. The b120 seems to pass the drives over properly, everything works very well.

BTW this is where I put my SSDs. I bought the FDD power adaptors on ebay for about 5GBP each.

IMG 1383

IMG 1385

IMG 1384

Edited by scruffters

As I understand it, you need to be running in B120i mode 

The post I quoted mentioned that it is possible with the B120i disabled and that post suggests that this is possible as a function of the latest BIOS.

Fair enough.

Can you confirm if it works? I'd be interested to hear the results. Have build several of these lately, but don't have one at home at the moment.

I know some previous methods required you to mess about with boot loaders on SD cards.

Funnily enough the last one I put together wouldn't its firmware via iLO. Had to download the service pack manually, which took a long time.

Fair enough.

Can you confirm if it works? I'd be interested to hear the results. Have build several of these lately, but don't have one at home at the moment.

I know some previous methods required you to mess about with boot loaders on SD cards.

I haven't got it working so I posted looking for help.

I'm currently using the SD card method but it seems to cause other problems with my setup that I'd like to avoid.

Maybe I'm simply miss-reading what had been said about this.