RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 2.5" HDD in the ODD bay discussion

wwindowwss

Some floppy connectors did not have all four wires. I would assume a SSD does not need the +12VDC, but it may be safer to cable into the Molex junction under the ODD bay.

Pancakes nice find on the FD to SATA power adapters.

I just got my MicroServer yesterday, and have been trying to setup an SSD in the optical drive slot. As noted by wwindowwss above, there is indeed a power connector already there, but some tinkering is required to get a regular drive up and running. I tried calling HP Support, but they were less than helpful and simply recommended I buy their optical drive, and cross my fingers hoping for a cable in the box.

So, I just thought I'd post a rundown of the possible solutions:

- First, there is the is the official HP part (# 683358-001), this is the cable you see in all the pictures online. At around $15 a pop, not a bad deal. It won't work with regular SATA connector off the bat, but you can always use a 9.55mm optical caddy to both hold it in place and provide the proper connector. This is the one I'm planning on using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y8SGXW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Another possibility would be to use one of these cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Dell-MX714-Floppy-FDD-to-Sata-Power-Converter-Cable-/400298253923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d33a29e63, run your own data cable and secure it with some velcro tape

Hope this helps anyone running into the same issue. This is a fantastic little unit, I'm looking forward to having it all setup.  :)

Edited by DiegoPe

How loud is it?

Haven't gotten around to playing with it much outside of initial setup, but so far it has been very quiet.

The tray from Amazon is an interesting idea.

There is still the question around the speed of the SATA port for the ODD bay.

I would think at best it is SATA II, but it could be SATA I.

In the power supply removal video, I can see that the floppy power connection in the ODD bay has all four wires. So it should be fine.

In the power supply removal video, I can see that the floppy power connection in the ODD bay has all four wires. So it should be fine.

They're fakes wires; they knew you'd be checking :D

Introducing the new HP Microserver G8® Floppy Drive add on bay for a massive 1.44mb of Ultra-Unstable Storage

Introducing the new HP Microserver G8® Floppy Drive add on bay for a massive 1.44mb of Ultra-Unstable Storage

Better yet; a ZIP drive, with Click-Of-Death pre-installed :D