RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 2.5" HDD in the ODD bay discussion

wwindowwss

Yep I found that out too :) Molex pass-through with SATA power, plus a regular SATA cable to power it off the ODD port - done.

I have ordered a Dell MX714 as the Molex is to the 4x drive bays, and I'd rather separate the load onto a different rail for stability.

Hello :)

I'm now looking for this cable as well.

Buying the "Floppy to SATA power converter cable" online ( from http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Dell-MX714-Floppy-FDD-to-Sata-Power-Converter-Cable-/400298253923?rmvSB=true or http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B005I5TALC/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new) is going to be quite "expensive" for something like this (due to shipping and whatnot).

So i'll have to go with "Molex pass-through with SATA power".

I found this one locally (see photo below):

6bBy9MY.png

Is this the one?

Edited by doomed
  • Like 1

Ok, so that "Molex pass-through with SATA power" cable is kinda far for me to go and pick up.

But i see this one is much easier to get:

(Just a regular molex to molex in Y)

fEpBa1L.jpg

Then i could attach this (below) to one of the female connectors (above) while leaving the other female connector intact for the server:

(molex to sata)

Bg1UOsn.jpg

Problem solved?

Edited by doomed
  • Like 1

Hello :)

I'm now looking for this cable as well.

Buying the "Floppy to SATA power converter cable" online ( from http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Dell-MX714-Floppy-FDD-to-Sata-Power-Converter-Cable-/400298253923?rmvSB=true or http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B005I5TALC/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new) is going to be quite "expensive" for something like this (due to shipping and whatnot).

So i'll have to go with "Molex pass-through with SATA power".

I found this one locally (see photo below):

6bBy9MY.png

Is this the one?

Are you in uk? If so maplins had the floppy to sata power adapters at £2.99 each when I bought mine
  • Like 1

This is all extremely helpful - particular thanks to TheBiggerMan - excellent instrucitons and work fine with Win8.1.

They way I read this topic, there are two ways to successfully boot from an SSD sitting on the ODD port:

1. TheBiggerMan's post - set up a USB boot loader, using the controller in AHCI mode.

2. Or ... run the controller in RAID mode and set each drive up as an individual RAID 0 drive.

I have set up scenario 1 above - and all going well.

I'm tempted to reconfigure as scenario 2 so I'm not dependant on the USB loader.

Questions:

A. Have I understood scenario 2 correctly ? I can have the SSD on the ODD port set up as RAID 0 running as a boot drive, and have each of the storage drives set up as RAID 0's as well.

B. Are there any downsides to the scenario 2 set up ?

Would be great to hear your thoughts - I don't want to go mess with all the data transfer if it's ill-fated !

Love these Microservers - particularly paired with the PS1810 switch.

Some have mentioned the idea that having the controller in RAID mode means that you can't move drives to another computer and read them, since they're in a RAID format instead of the more universal AHCI.

Actually, that's not at all accurate ikon.  If you set the RAID as RAID0 or RAID1, you can read it in another computer with absolutely no issues at all.  I took one drive of a B120i RAID1 and it reads fine in Windows.  I then took it and stuck it in a USB3 dock and plugged it in to my Synology which also read it perfectly.

RAID5 is probably a different story, but RAID1 and RAID0 are fine.

• Like 1

That's great news HellDriverUK. It's been a bit of an open question in the forums for a while. Glad you cleared it up so well. It seems there's less and less reason to use AHCI over RAID.

Actually, that's not at all accurate ikon.  If you set the RAID as RAID0 or RAID1, you can read it in another computer with absolutely no issues at all.  I took one drive of a B120i RAID1 and it reads fine in Windows.  I then took it and stuck it in a USB3 dock and plugged it in to my Synology which also read it perfectly.

RAID5 is probably a different story, but RAID1 and RAID0 are fine.

Cool. I was going to test this soon but good to know.