RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB $99

dvn

What I suspect happens is that SR sets the upper limit of the Read Command Timer to zero (off/no limit) while it's making its 32,768 attempts at recovery. When it fails, it resets the upper limit, the RCT limit is reached, and sector reallocation is triggered.

...or it happens some other way.  :D  But that's the idea. SR has to disable any command that would trigger a reallocation while it's working.

ikon

Like you say, "or it happens some other way". I don't worry about it... that's Steve's job :) What I know is that it works...

dvn

And what a great job he's done, writing software that stands the test of time having been last updated in 2004! It's like the XP of the HDD utility world, eh? :) 

ikon

Steve has done a good job. It is time for an update though. At the very least. SR needs an update to handle drives larger than 2TB. An update to make it clearer how to use SR with SDDs would also be a good idea. Finally, I would like to see an update that frees SR from the constraints of FreeDOS, or any DOS for that matter.

dvn

And of course an update that includes the option to write part or all of the hard drive before attempting recovery. So is he working on the update as we speak?

ikon

I haven't checked in a long time but you know Steve: he has the attention span of a gnat. :D There's always something else demanding his attention. He must have been hell on wheels when he was 5 :lol: 

I hope he will update SR in the very near future. You would think, with SR being his sole bread & butter, that he would devote more attention to it.