RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB $99

ikon

DOAs and DASTs (Dead After a Short Time) are the reason I always SpinRite drives, new or re-purposed, before putting them into production. I find this really helps eliminate problems with HDDs.

dvn

And right on cue... Lol. And yet it seems like the smart thing to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

g725s

Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-236-343&Tpk=N82E16822236343

$99.99 with Promo Code:  EMCYTZT3889

Did this now expired $80 deal get posted?

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100256/tigerdirect-2tb-western-digital-red-intellipower-sata-3.5-internal-hard-drive

jsox

DOAs and DASTs (Dead After a Short Time) are the reason I always SpinRite drives, new or re-purposed, before putting them into production. I find this really helps eliminate problems with HDDs.

What level of SpinRite do you use on a new drive? And how do you interpret the results?

dvn

Level 4 is maintenance mode. I believe that's the recommended, and I think ikon uses that. If it runs clean, obviously you're good to go. If a bad sector or more shows up then you can decide whether to RMA it. Sometimes a drive will have a few bad sectors but last for years. I've had a couple that did. But of course you'll need to keep a closer eye on it in case it starts developing a bunch more. And if the drive dies in the SpinRite qualification process, better then than later.

@ikon - you've said before that you run SpinRite in a vm. Is that faster than running in the conventional BIOS DOS screen?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

ikon

I run SpinRite in up to 4 VMs at once. So, while it may not run any faster than directly in DOS on bare metal, running 4 drives at once definitely speeds things up :)

And yes, I certify drives for production by running SR on Level 4. I put a Brother P-Touch label on each drive that has space on it to write the month and year of the last SR run. After each new run, I use alcohol to erase the previous data & time so I can write the new.

jsox

SR Level 4, then look for bad sectors or outright failure under the stress of running SR. Okay, that makes sense.

You didn't mention reallocated / remapped sector count or other SMART criteria. SR would just be testing the reallocated sector wouldn't it?

ikon

I don't worry about remapped sectors when using SR. I let it do its thing. If the drive passes clean, which is quite obvious, I then mark the drive and put it into production or put it on the shelf as a tested spare.

dvn

SR is not testing for, nor is it particularly concerned with reallocated sector count, per se. It's simply reading and writing back to the drive, and when necessary, running it's recovery program (DynaStat) where it keeps hitting the same problem sector until it gets a good read. Could take seconds, could take months, reportedly. I don't know at which point SR gives up and stops trying. Maybe ikon does? If SR fails to recover a sector, or even when it does but can't write the data back to the sector and then read it successfully, it marks the sector as bad and the drive's firmware relegates it to the g-list and puts another one in service from the spare sector pool. This is remapping. A couple remapped sectors in itself is not bad. But when you get to a certain number of remapped sectors, drive response time begins to slow because each time the drive does a read or write involving a remapped sector, it has to look up the replacement sector's address in the g-list.

ikon

IIRC, SR will try, using various tactics, to read a suspect sector up to 32,768 times (sound familiar?). AFAIK, SR doesn't actually mark anything bad itself; by re-reading and writing sectors, it forces the drive's firmware to notice that there's a problem and take the appropriate measures.