RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help with RAID Errors and SMART data

KiwiGlen

Hi,

I've just started getting some errors on my RAID array and want to check if this is a sign of a failing hard drive (I think it is).

I've received 15 of the following errors in the last 2 weeks:

info.gif 2013/7/27 19:21:41 Successfully repaired bad sector on disk 'WDC WD20EARS-55MVWB0-WD-WCAZA4204000' at Controller1-Channel2: LBA 0x353270e0 sectors 0x20 .

error.gif 2013/7/27 19:21:38 An error occured on the disk at 'WDC WD20EARS-55MVWB0-WD-WCAZA4204000' at Controller1-Channel2.

But the SMART data still looks OK for that drive (I think).

raid.png

Should I be worried about these errors?  

Edited by KiwiGlen

What RAID controller are you using? What type of RAID? How old is the drive?

Of the SMART info you have above, 5 is the one to keep an eye on. As the drive maps out bad sectors, that number will grow. Drives have a large number of spare sectors, but at some point they will run out. From the data above, I don't know if 140 is the actual count or if that is the threshold were the system will warn you. Can you get a print out of the actual values?

There is a full list of SMART data here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Mapping out bad sectors is a normal function of a drive, but getting 15 of them in two weeks on the same drive would concern me.

Do you have a backup copy of your data?

IIRC, 140 is the warning threshold. I agree with schoondoggy; this is a drive to keep an eye on. I would make sure to have a good backup (preferably more than 1), and to also have a spare drive ready to go. Since the suspect drive is a WD Green, you might want to consider replacing it with a Red when the time comes.

I use to get this when running the green drives in RAID 5 and usually had the replace the drive that was acting up.  It is probably not bad so you can use it elsewhere, but it has begun to have issues running in RAID. My advice, replace it.

Thanks for the replies, it's a raid 5 array in a Highpoint RocketRaid 2680.

I'll look at getting another drive and was thinking of getting a Red drive but wasn't sure if I should mix red and green drives in the same array, but from what ikon said that should be ok.

I doubt you will have any issues. The RPM etc. of the Reds is very similar to the Greens. The big difference is that Reds are built for RAID use.

You will probably be OK however what I would do is replace that one and continue to replace a drive every time you can until you have all reds.  Do not know how many drives are in your array and like ikon said they are basically the same drive, but best practice is to have the same types if possible.  Going reds will be a better way in the long run.

OK I'm looking at ordering a new drive but I have 1 question.  I can either get a 2TB Red and just slot as a direct replacement.  Or I could get a 3TB Red drive, but the other 3 drives in the array are 2TB drives.  What happens to the extra 1TB on the red drive?  Is it unusable until I swap all the 2TB drives with 3TB ones or can I still access the 1TB somehow?