RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

how do you password protect or encrypt offsite external drives

capall

Hi all,

I am using cloudberry to backup my whs2011 shares to an external drive that I take offsite (including client backups). I have the option of using cloudberry encryption, but was wondering is there an alternative that people are using to either encrypt the data or just use a password protection.

If using another method to either password protect or encrypt, will cloudberry still be able to  run the backup ?

What are the pros / cons of password protect vs encryption WRT to having restore access to your data or just general usage?

Ease of use of password protect vs encryption?

Any comments on cloudberry encryption?

Thanks

capall

If I where you I would stick with the Cloudberry encryption.  Since you are using CloudBerry, it will encrypt on the fly and because you have to cloudberry to restore, you do not gain much by adding the complication of using a third party like TrueCrypt.  Third party programs would require a login separety.  You could use Bitlocker and use windows authentication, but that might mess you up if you take you external drive somewhere else to do some restore.  In the end, I would stick with the CloudBerry.

The first thing I would consider is whether you really need any extra security on your Offsite backups. Is your off site location really more vulnerable than your home? How much more likely is it that a wrong person would get hold of your Offsite drive(s) than the ones in your house.

In my case, for example, my off site location is actually more secure than my house. Consequently, I don't encrypt or password protect my Offsite drives at all. I don't even use something like Cloudberry. It requires you to use Cloudberry to get your data back. My backups are simple RoboCopies of my data to the Offsite drives.

I think people have a knee-jerk reaction that they need extra protection on their Offsite backups. No doubt some do, but I suspect most don't.

Thanks guys, good points. I'll go with the cloudberry if encrypting, as I agree with the 3rd party comment.  Just now need to decide if I will encrypt, as it then requires me to use cloudberry for the restore.

Thanks

capall