RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Garbettron

Networking a new server for remote access.

Garbettron

Point taken haha. Although brain surgery...can't be that hard right?

ikon

Depends on the results you're expecting; do you expect the patient to live? Hey, if not, it's easy. Although, if the patient dies, perhaps it's more brain 'butchery' than 'surgery'.  :D

jem101

Wow, I can't believe you went there. This is an area definitely not for noobs. :D

True, but you'll notice I didn't set out exactly how to do this just gave a pointer to the general direction. That way if anyone is daft enough to try it, they'll first have to research DNS zone and record types (and the way MS implement it) and hence gain valuable knowledge.

Can't just have everything handed to them on a plate, I do this sort of stuff for a living, don't want too many people knowing the secrets do we? :D  

John

ikon

I used to do it as part of my job, but I've been promoted beyond my level of incompetence so others have to do it now ;) It's funny how it starts to slip away without hardly even noticing. I guess this stuff isn't like riding a bike....

Garbettron

A little off topic, but something odd happened this morning:

Rdp, the OS and the server itself was operating normally last night. This morning i try to RDP into my server again to add some more files and after much troubleshooting decided to plug a monitor in. I got the missing operating system message. So i rebooted and went into the BIOS and it turns out that for some reason it had changed itself to boot from one of the HDD's i had added? Changed the boot priority back, but im a bit concerned about it as im often half way around the world and need access to this machine. Id rather it didnt make its own decisions about what it wants to be booting from?

I had plugged a USB external drive in to load in some files. I think this is what it was trying to boot from (Not sure as all my internals are WD aaaaaand i wasnt clever enough to note down their names.) 

Edit: I had installed the OS via USB optical drive. Could the BIOS be trying to boot from USB still? I have restarted several times before without issue?

Edited by Garbettron

jem101

Edit: I had installed the OS via USB optical drive. Could the BIOS be trying to boot from USB still? I have restarted several times before without issue?

Quite possibly the boot order had changed when you plugged the new drive in - did the server reboot overnight for updates?

Have a dig around in the bios and see if there are settings to not only change the boot device priority but also in the case of booting from HDD, which disk has priority in the event of there being more that one possible candidate.

Presumably if you are away from home then it is unlikely that anyone else will be plugging things into the server so as long as you check that it reboots cleanly before you leave, it probably won't be an issue when you are away. Best to force the boot order though if you can find a setting for it, just in case.

John

Garbettron

Yeah i had a little dig around in there. Ill do some testing after unplugging the external HDD... while were on the topic of rebooting, i proposed a question on a seperate thread (ill copy and paste link here): http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3483-whs-2011-after-installing-connector-software-prompted-for-username-and-pw-on-client-please-help/

any ideas on this? Cant find any options for it anywhere?

ikon

As jem101 indicated, quite a few systems will change the boot order if you plug in a new HDD, whether SATA or USB. The only trick really is to reboot once before you travel and ensure it's booting properly at that point. Since no new drives should get plugged in while you're gone, nothing bad should happen.

Garbettron

yeah sorted that issue...it was a curveball is all. I saw the OS not found screen and thought bloody hell, a drive thats failed in 36 hours.

Do you have any fix for the log on problem? The thing is, the server usually restarts overnight, which brings it to the user log in page. Where it stays. While it is in this state though, i can't remote desktop in with my mac to do maintenance etc. Im pretty sure you can connect through my domain over the internet, but just remote desktop seems to need to have the server logged in before it will connect? What i would like to do is for everytime the server restarts, it auto logs in with another user (created with no access to anything etc) and then i can remote desktop in, and change to administrator. Any ideas on how to do this? (cant find anything in the menus) or even better, any better suggestions? This issue basically makes my server unmanageable while on the road :(

Edit: Just did a reboot and tried to log in again and it worked this time? Bizarre...

Edited by Garbettron

ikon

You absolutely do not have to have the server logged in to be able to RDP into it. In fact, if it's logged in and you RDP in, it should log the current session out before logging you in remotely. Your idea that it has to be logged in is actually the reverse of the truth. IOW, as long as Remote Access is configured properly, you should be able to log in remotely form anywhere in the world, no matter how often the server reboots.

BTW, you might want to ensure that the server is NOT set to automatically download and install updates. Having it set to Auto could cause the server to be rebooting when you're trying to log in, and you won't know why you can't log in. I keep my servers set to Notify and Let Me Choose What and When to Update.