RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Garbettron

Networking a new server for remote access.

pcdoc

I agree with ikon on the UpNp.  I also prefer to setup and control which ports get routed.  Using UpNp and turning it off does not work as it is more dynamic.  Your best bet is to take each item one at a time and forward.  Once you do it once, it will not take you long as actually it is quite easy once you have the information.

Garbettron

Back to my home set-up after some time away. After several hours of tinkering, its finally all networked with both my ISP provided modem/router acting as a wireless access point, ethernet to apple airport extreme (Thus increasing my range to a new section of the house) this is then in bridge mode ethernet to the server as well as configured as a wireless access point. Its all working as expected (after a few problems with forwarding ports and getting firewalls/WHS itself to play nice) i can access it from outside my network (using 3G on my phone, although haven't tried downloading anything yet) and i can access it from inside my LAN (Although if i type in my .homeserver address in my browser, it brings up my routers log in page? is this normal?)

At the moment im attempting to get launchpad or remote desktop for Mac working with osX mountain lion. Not easy. This is purely so i can do server management/users etc over the internet while i am away, as my main machine is a Mac.

So heres the thing...I want more!

Im only just learning windows all over again, and i love being cross platform, but id like to do a bit more between them. Are there any ways to stream media from the server instead of just downloading it? For example id like to be able to stream my films from my server instead of just download them. Is there also a way to spoof websites/streaming services into using your server address while you are demoted in? Or is this only possible with remote desktop. I imagine it would be un-useable if you went about it that way?

Anyway, recap:

.homeserver address bringing up router login from inside LAN?
Anyone ever used launchpad or remote desktop for mac successfully with WHS 2011?
Cool tips/tricks/extra functions available to really get some use out of it while i am outside my LAN?

Thanks again.

ikon

I'm not terribly surprised that your .homeserver IP brings up your router. If you want to access your server from inside your LAN, use your WHS2011 IP instead.

Garbettron

I'm not terribly surprised that your .homeserver IP brings up your router. If you want to access your server from inside your LAN, use your WHS2011 IP instead.

I see, just wanted to make sure it was normal.  As long as its not showing that router login from outside of my network then thats fine.

Edit on previous post. Just figured out you can stream from the dashboard... Monging it. 

jem101

I see, just wanted to make sure it was normal.  As long as its not showing that router login from outside of my network then thats fine.

Edit on previous post. Just figured out you can stream from the dashboard... Monging it. 

If you wanted to (and it is a bit of work to do and involve a fair bit of knowledge about networking), you could add a zone for xxxxx.homeserver to DNS on the server, add an 'A' record for the internal address of the server and that will give you the server log-in page when you browse to that address from inside. Although it's probably not worth the pain - as ikon said just browse to the internal IP address instead.

The WHS Launchpad on Macs is almost completely useless really, the backup link won't work (well actually it will in as much as it will start Time Machine but TM can't work with 2011), Remote Web Access just starts up a web browser and points it at the servers Remote Web log-in page. Shared Folders will work in as much as it will present a list of server shares but it's probably just as quick-if not quicker-to hit CMD-K and if you've saved the server address as a favourite it'll already be selected.

Remote Desktop does work, either use the free RDP client from Microsoft or one of the other third part applications (CoRD comes to mind here). If you want to RDP directly onto the server from outside then you will need to forward port 3389 to the server address.

John

Garbettron

Jem101, yeah not that bothered if I can just access it from the IP. Was just testing really. Backups aren't really an issue for my client machines as 1.my friends backups are their own problem and 2. My machines have backups on hard drives that are just sat in a box and not plugged in. This means I have to manually plug in and update once a week or so but it's not that much of a chore.

I'm mainly set up just so I have duplicates on the move instead of having to lug all of my hard disks everywhere and so I can upload and access copies of documents so I have them wherever (obviously pretty much every OS comes with a cloud storage option nowadays, but where's the fun in that?! And who offers 8tb of storage!)

Yeah I ignored launchpad for mac. I'm running mountain lion on my main machine and it just will not play nice without editing .plist files etc and not interested in any of that. I'm using the Remote Desktop connector without forwarding the necessary port on my router. I only have 80 and 443 forwarded and it works okay inside my LAN, if a little buggy. I haven't tested it outside my LAN yet, but I imagine I will have to forward the port for it, if I want to use it over the Internet?

Have you any experience with "orb"? I've read a couple of brief discussions on it but that's it. What does it enable you to do?

jem101

If you are referring to the 'Orb' I'm thinking of then it's a media streaming service to enable you to access your videos, music etc. on different clients from anywhere you have an internet connection.

I wouldn't get too excited about it though as they are closing down - if they haven't already gone!

http://www.orb.com/shutdown-notice

John

ikon

If you wanted to (and it is a bit of work to do and involve a fair bit of knowledge about networking), you could add a zone for xxxxx.homeserver to DNS on the server, add an 'A' record for the internal address of the server and that will give you the server log-in page when you browse to that address from inside. Although it's probably not worth the pain - as ikon said just browse to the internal IP address instead.

Wow, I can't believe you went there. This is an area definitely not for noobs. :D

Garbettron

Noobs are people too!

Haha. Sorted. Learnt a lot.

ikon

Absolutely noobs are people. But you don't take a first year med student and throw them in an OR and say, "OK, you're going to do brain surgery today."

DNS, and all the record types and how to use them, is an esoteric area that most people know very little about. Misconfigured DNS records are one of the most common causes of name resolution issues. 'Course, you could avoid all these hassles; just use IP addresses to access all devices on networks B)