RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Networking a new server for remote access.

Garbettron

I have not. Is this hardware specific or general admin, as im not sure of a way to go about this. If I forward the ports, will the airport lose its wireless capability for the rest of the devices in-house, connecting wirelessly? Networking is not my bag, gotta dev something to do this admin for me :|

You have a couple of challenges.  First off, the supplied router/modem is probably going to conclicet wit your router.  If you are going to use it, then there is no real value in the Airport, and if you are going to use the Airport, get your provvider to supply a "modem only" (or find out what they support and buy one.)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garbettron

• ikon

• jem101

• pcdoc

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were connected through an assigned IP address, if and when the IP changes due to the ISP, the previous IP is no longer valid and they are then unable to access the server? Or does the dynamic dns service automatically push out the new IP without re-configuring it on the client machine?

Have I got this right or am I talking ********?

You are correct: DDNS does take care of this -- that's its specific purpose. With DDNS you can always access your network's correct IP by using its Domain Name. BTW, your client machines never know your WAN address; your router takes care of it for them. For example, your server might have an IP like 192.168.1.1. That address isn't even allowed on the Internet -- IOW, it's forbidden on the Internet. Your router takes care of feeding traffic onto the Internet and feeding return traffic to the correct computer on your network. It's called Network Address Translation or NAT for short.

Garbettron

Pcdoc, thanks for your help. The reason I did this was because my modem/router is of terrible quality and tucked away into the corner of a house with not much scope to relocate it. Therefore I thought I'd try and kill two birds with one stone and put it in full bridge mode and Ethernet the airport a reasonably long distance away and into a more central location of the house, then Ethernet to my server and continue to function as a wireless access point too? (Would this affect users of the wireless network in any way if I was to DynDNS the router for my server) not an ideal solution but the best I have come up with. Do you think I would have issue with this set up?

Ikon, thanks for your help too. I understand now. I was thinking about it a bit lopsided before.. Cheers!

I see nothing wrong with putting your ISP-supplied router into bridge mode. I did it with mine.

You don't really DDNS your router. You sign up for a DDNS service and install a small client program on a computer on your network. Before I set up my Untangle router I set up my DDNS Client on my WHS (because it's on 24/7). The client program monitors for changes to your WAN IP and updates the DDNS central server as needed.

Garbettron

Sounds promising.

Also, just thought. Doesn't WHS2011 come with a host name etc with remote access enabled through that? Presumably they have a DNS database your added to when you activate your chosen domain with them? I read that the wizard forwards the necessary ports etc to the router as your setting up the remote access. And as it comes with 10 clients available, you just set up your clients in the console? And further to that, since I'm setting up the domain in the uk, it will always register me as a uk user if connected remotely? Although this wouldn't be brilliant to watch uk services while abroad if I'm running a virtual desktop on the remote machine to do this? Mega slowwwwwww.

Definitely need to do some digging, testing and adjusting when I get back to my network, instead of boring you guys.

Garbettron

I see nothing wrong with putting your ISP-supplied router into bridge mode. I did it with mine.

You don't really DDNS your router. You sign up for a DDNS service and install a small client program on a computer on your network. Before I set up my Untangle router I set up my DDNS Client on my WHS (because it's on 24/7). The client program monitors for changes to your WAN IP and updates the DDNS central server as needed.

Last Terrible question of the night, i promise:

Wouldn't this interfere with machines connected wirelessly to the LAN in my house? As I'd only want to connect to the server, not these machines. Or would installing DDNS client on the server itself only work for that server and not the machines connected to the LAN?

Thanks again.

Edit: oh wait... NAT... right?

Edited by Garbettron

Edit: oh wait... NAT... right?

LOL, yep, NAT :)

The IP addresses on your LAN aren't affected in any way. The DDNS client is designed specifically to find out what your WAN IP is without affecting anything on the inside of your network. It updates the DDNS provider's servers when it finds out your WAN IP has changed.

Sounds promising.

Also, just thought. Doesn't WHS2011 come with a host name etc with remote access enabled through that? Presumably they have a DNS database your added to when you activate your chosen domain with them? I read that the wizard forwards the necessary ports etc to the router as your setting up the remote access. And as it comes with 10 clients available, you just set up your clients in the console? And further to that, since I'm setting up the domain in the uk, it will always register me as a uk user if connected remotely? Although this wouldn't be brilliant to watch uk services while abroad if I'm running a virtual desktop on the remote machine to do this? Mega slowwwwwww.

Definitely need to do some digging, testing and adjusting when I get back to my network, instead of boring you guys.

Yes, WHS does have Remote Web Access. With it you can connect to your WHS2011 from the Internet. After logging in, you can then access the Client Computers of the WHS2011. You can also access files. IIRC, you don't have to set up your Client Computers in the Console; they just have to have the WHS Connector installed (my memory is a little fuzzy on this, so don't take this as gospel -- it's possible you have to use the Console to enable each client computer to permit remote access).

One thing you have to watch out for with Remote Web Access is that it really wants to use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) to set up port forwarding on your router. I, and many, many others consider UPnP to be a security risk and don't want to use it. I prefer to manually forward any ports that need forwarding. Sometimes that causes issues for people. But yes, what's supposed to happen is that a Domain Name is registered with Microsoft.com (e.g. myhomeserver.microsoft.com). Then, when you use a browser on a computer from outside your LAN, and put myhomeserver.microsoft.com into the address box, it should take you to a web page on your WHS.

Garbettron

Thoughts on uPnP:

could I leave uPnP on while I am connecting everything, downloading and configuring/installing everything and then the final step is turning uPnP off at my router. Will the ports forwarded by the applications and set-up be "remembered" For the future?

If I go the other way and turn uPnP off, won't the devices on the rest of the LAN have issues with Skype and all the rest of the port reliant applications?

Nightmare. Your right though, I wouldn't like a virus scenario and have my whole network open for anyone to do what they please with. Especially as its not just my data or machines.

Any tips round this/which ports I'd need to forward for these applications? I'd like to make it as watertight as possible, being a windows machine..

You have correctly identified that it's a can of worms. Despite the PITA, I prefer to find out what each app requires in the way of port forwarding and set it up manually.

I'm not sure whether enabling UPnP, letting it do its thing, and then disabling it will work or not... never tried it.

The best way I've found to identify which ports need to be forwarded is to just use Bing or google to search.