RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Garbettron

Networking a new server for remote access.

Garbettron

Hello,

I'm having some trouble connecting my server to my network. I have a ISP provided wireless router/modem ethernetted to an apple AirPort Extreme base station which is then ethernetted to my server. I put my modem/router into bridge mode.

I have trouble getting the server online and then even more trouble connecting to the server remotely.

I got a friend to test connection from France to try and watch BBC iPlayer but no luck.

Networking really isn't my strong point. Does anyone know how to set this up using this hardware?

Hp n54L microserver

Apple AirPort Extreme base station

ISP provided Modem/wireless router combo.

WHS 2011 (10 customers)

Ideally I'd like to use my server to access my files, watch UK services from abroad and provide access to others with mixtures of OS's. would I need to assign a static ip to achieve this?

Again, networking = not my bag

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

ikon

On your AirPort, have you forwarded any ports to your server?

Garbettron

I have not. Is this hardware specific or general admin, as im not sure of a way to go about this. If I forward the ports, will the airport lose its wireless capability for the rest of the devices in-house, connecting wirelessly? Networking is not my bag, gotta dev something to do this admin for me :|

ikon

OK, before we can talk about how to set up port forwarding, we need to know which ports to forward. To do that, we need to know which applications you want to use to access your network remotely, and what servers/services on your LAN you want to access.

Garbettron

I was planning on using logmein. Also so others can access (read only), Able to download files i have stored on the server. I plan to access my aforementioned server to view files, download files to the remote computer (issue with this is that administrator is running OSX mountain lion, fine through browser, no?)

Also to access services such as Netflix, bbc iplayer, 4od etc from abroad. This is why I assumed static ip or a pool of them to enable all ten remote machines access to these services too.

Not really interested in the rest of the LAN, as none of my files or anything I need is located on these machines.

Edited by Garbettron

ikon

Let me clarify one thing off the top. I haven't used Macs since System 9, so I'm completely out of touch with Apple stuff; can't help with it.

Have you installed LogMeIn on your server yet? I'm no LogMeIn expert by any means, but I thought that it made it possible to log in remotely without having to forward any ports. I could be way out to lunch on that though. pcdoc is one of our experts on LogMeIn. Perhaps he'll chime in. If it does require port forwarding, he likely will know which port(s).

The other applications will likely need their own ports forwarded.

Fixed IP would likely work, but that usually costs more and is often not available to residential customers. Another option is Dynamic DNS. For a few bucks a year you sign up with a service that monitors when your internet IP is changed by your ISP and it adjusts your public DNS record to match the new IP.

Garbettron

Logmein is also new to me. I'll have a bit of a dig and see. Nope, no install yet, thought I'd throw the idea out there before I gave it a go.

Dynamic DNS sounds like a good way to go. For the access to the UK services? Could conflict with assigned clients though,no? As in knocking everyone off the network if and when it changes. (Bad news for admin as he won't be able to reconfigure from abroad if he's knocked off?)

ikon

Not quite sure what you mean by "conflict with assigned clients".

Garbettron

If they were connected through an assigned IP address, if and when the IP changes due to the ISP, the previous IP is no longer valid and they are then unable to access the server? Or does the dynamic dns service automatically push out the new IP without re-configuring it on the client machine?

Have I got this right or am I talking ********?

pcdoc

I was planning on using logmein. Also so others can access (read only), Able to download files i have stored on the server. I plan to access my aforementioned server to view files, download files to the remote computer (issue with this is that administrator is running OSX mountain lion, fine through browser, no?)

Also to access services such as Netflix, bbc iplayer, 4od etc from abroad. This is why I assumed static ip or a pool of them to enable all ten remote machines access to these services too.

Not really interested in the rest of the LAN, as none of my files or anything I need is located on these machines.

I have used Logmein for years and it works well for remote control of your server/pc.  That said, only the pro verison will handle guests and file transfer so you will have to pay a monthly fee.  For access to other services such as Netflix and other media file, direct access would be better but again if you choose to do that you will need pro which runs about $69 US per system per year.  Honestly looking at this post, you need to probably go back and try again before going the logmein route.  The airport express is one of the worst routers I have ever setup for a mixed enviorment and for access to outside world.  In addtion, you need a Dynamic DNS service to handle the dynamic IP from your provider.  Here is what I would do.  Post the exact configuration (without personal information) of your Airport and so we can begin to mold the correct structure.  Your should be able to access files without an issue if we get you configured.