RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backups failing: Lost connection?

britishbob

Hi Guys,

Been using 2012e for a few months and most things seemed to be going fine until 5 days ago.

Suddenly my scheduled backups were failing from my 3 clients.

The messages given were saying there were connection issues.

Either:

The client could not connect to the server

or

The backup did not complete because a problem interrupted the connection to the server.

There is some blurb about all of the services being switched on however I'm thinking that is spurious as the backup wouldn't start if they were by some chance off. I have obviously rebooted the server and the clients several tmes.

Nothing in the home or network had changed??? (I live alone so I know.)

Thinking the router may be failing I substituted with a brand new router....No change!

I also changed the cable betwixt the router and the server with a brand new cat 6 cable. No change!

I have swapped back to the original router as it seemed not to be the problem.

Has anyone seen and cured this or have any ideas?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• britishbob

• JayBee

• kosh58

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your router also your Ethernet switch? If so, I would change that; put in a dedicated, real Ethernet switch. I'm not saying that's what's causing your issue, but it's a good practice and can solve many network issue, and it just might help your situation.

The other thing I'm wondering is, have you checked how much free space there is on the drive where your backups are stored? I find it quite interesting that your backups were working fine and then just suddenly stopped, and not just for one of your client computers, but all of them. Lack of disk space is something that would certainly affect all of your clients.

Think I may have a wtf?

C drive is squealing that it only has 17mb free (started after I posted)

I am thinking wtf?

The install partitioned the drive the way it needed to.

I have only installed 4 programs or add ins (chrome and the 2 stablebits)

Why is it out of room?

I don't use this server  except for back ups so this is not a case of libraries and dlls filling the drive.

Why didn't it partition for this so it wouldn't run out of room?

Not sure but this looks like the problem.... Any thoughts?

698 MB??? That's pretty small. How big is the pool?

Its a 2tb main drive with a 750gb 2nd drive so 2.75tb minus op sys part.

Sorry should have said 698 gb slip of the keyboard:(

Edited by britishbob

OK, it looks like my first instinct may be correct: drive space. Have you ensured that the backups are being stored in the pool and not on C:? If they're on C:, that could easily account for drive C: being down to 17MB free.

OK, it looks like my first instinct may be correct: drive space. Have you ensured that the backups are being stored in the pool and not on C:? If they're on C:, that could easily account for drive C: being down to 17MB free.

Pool is reporting 698 gb free of 2561 Gb

Yes, and that's pretty small, but are you certain the backups are being stored in the pool and not C:? There has to be a reason that C: has shrunk so much.

Yes, and that's pretty small, but are you certain the backups are being stored in the pool and not C:? There has to be a reason that C: has shrunk so much.

I can add more drives but I'll check into where the data is going tomorrow and report back.

Reason you guys don't hear from me anymore is I work 12 to 16 (sometimes 23 hour days. Little time for anything anymore.

Edited by britishbob

Ok been a frantic few days while I try to sort this problem.

Shortly after I last wrote the server the server decided (for no reason I could see to "spit the dummy!"

It went into an endless reboot cycle and from there could not be restored.

So!

New installation and update stablebit.

This time with seperate 160 gb drive just for the system.

Added new 2tb drive to server and the pool!

Still think I have my original backups but the server doesn't see them just reports drive as full.

Drive pool reporting 1.75 tb free.

Result........Same!

I'm guessing that the drives weren't the issue, after all, notwithstanding comments above, nearly 700gb to perform incremental backups from three clients is more than enough, given that it must have taken over 6 months to fill 2 tb.

Now I'm guessing at something which is occasionally at something which is "phoning home" on a regular basis and "flooding" the network when it does.

Remember, the error messages did not refer to full drives but connection problems....

Edited by britishbob