RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast recommendations?

Captain Reynolds

Hi folks, long time listener of both the home server show and BYOB here. I have just started a diploma course in IT (Server Management & Networking) and I would appreciate any suggestions on helpful podcasts and or sites for someone that is new to this world?

Thanks in advance!

Hi folks, long time listener of both the home server show and BYOB here. I have just started a diploma course in IT (Server Management & Networking) and I would appreciate any suggestions on helpful podcasts and or sites for someone that is new to this world?

Thanks in advance!

Any particular topics?  That is a pretty broad range.  Thanks for the request, I am sure amongst all of us we can come up with something.  You might also listen to the Networking series that Jim did on the Average guy.  He did three shows with different guests.  It is worth a listen.

Thanks pcdoc, I have just subscribed to The Average Guy - very helpful. I am using Home Server 2011 and love it... I have a reasonable commute to and from college and would love something to get me into things like Server 2008 / 2012, Domains, IP addressing, Virtualisation etc. I have just started using VMWare to play with Server 2008R2... thanks! 

If your interested in Server 2012, Eli the computer Guy has a great series on YouTube

By the way, good to see another Queenslander here and happy birthday for the 21st. I really envy you Cairns folk this time of year.

Edited by Renny

If your interested in Server 2012, Eli the computer Guy has a great series on YouTube

By the way, good to see another Queenslander here and happy birthday for the 21st. I really envy you Cairns folk this time of year.

If you want to subscribe to youtube channels just like a podcast look into a program called RSSHandler (http://code.google.com/p/rsshandler/).  I run this on my homeserver and it allows you to subscribe to youtube channels just like a podcast so they auto download the video to favorite podcast program.

• Like 1

Beautiful. I learned to dive on the reef off Cairns. Spoiled me from then on.

Regarding podcasts, any interest in programming, or security?

I recommend Programming Throwdown (http://programmingthrowdown.blogspot.com/) or for Infosec try Security Now! (https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm)

Thanks Renny, for both the suggestion (very helpful) and the birthday wishes. I have enjoyed the first two weeks of my course playing with 2008R2. We have also started Cisco CCNA, bit more to get my head around!