RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with V1 and Macbook

Grant B

Greetings programs...

My daughter just purchased a shiny new Macbook pro... I have never used a Mac before and I'm looking into what version 1 has for Mac's. Time to learn something new and exciting   :huh:

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to a site or some atricles that can explain what the Macbook can do with the mediasmart?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Grant

You can create a User Login for her. Have her copy her files to a Shared Folder. My staff does this at work all the time on our V1. It may not be seemless, but it gets the job done.

Maybe you could set up a Dropbox on both.?

Thanks for the input guys.

I was looking at what HP has on the mediasmart server running v1. It mentions running time machine on it and I was looking at possibly seeting that up. If moutain lion does not supprt the connector for v1, it's safe to assume that mavericks will not either.

My end goal was to set her up on her server user accout via the macbook and to get her account set up to allow her to remote access into the server to get files she may put on the server and require when she's at uni. Other than myself, she's the one who uses the server most for actual file storage and access. Everyone else just uses it to access my movies and shows.

If V1 won't work properly, what about 2011?

Well, I have not installed the connector software, but I was able to log onto the server from the macbook using her username/password. She can see all the shares. Where she can see all the user shares, she only has access to her share. If I don't need to install the connector - I think I won't.

Next, I'm going to set her account on the server to allow her to remote access the server and see if she can log into it.

Last night, I went into the console and tried to set my daughter's remote access. It would not complete the task becasue the password was not strong enough? Are there different password criteria for passwords if the user is going to access the server remotely?

I see... I can certainly understand that. I had thought that the password strength that you set would apply to all.

Now, what would be a better solution for my situation... to get my daughter to make a more robust password for her computer and listen to her complain - or -  set up a user specifically for her to access her university stuff and that way her home info would not be affected?

I think you should talk to her about it but, generally, I think most people find it easier to remember 1 password, easy or harder, than 2 or more.