RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex server on WS2012E?

Jason

Is anyone running Plex on their WS2012E box? Is it a replacement to Windows Media Center? Currently running 7MC with Mediabrowser 2 plugin. Have been curious about the benefits of Plex.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• timekills

• Jason

• Trig0r

I have been running plex for along time and have tried it on every platform with no issues but not as a media center replacement.  It will centennially work but you will not get the add ins, TV support that you get from WMC.  I use it mainly for streaming to my mobile devices.  So far it is the best solution out there.

Pcdoc, thanks. Am going to try it. Do you use it instead of stream to me and AirPlay It? I believe you used to use both of those in the past.

Pcdoc, thanks. Am going to try it. Do you use it instead of stream to me and AirPlay It? I believe you used to use both of those in the past.

I actually have all 4 setup (also Air PlayIT), but have been more focused on Plex as it is universal.  They have an RT/Windows 8 app, iPad, iPhone, and Android so I can actually use it in my mixed setup which is important to me.  They are the only ones that have bothered to create a decent app that runs on RT.

The recently updated Win8/RT Plex app is much improved, although I believe it still requires the hack to allow for Win8/RT apps to connect to the same PC if you are running the server and player on the same box. (By default, Win8 does not allow "Metro" apps to connect to 127.0.0.1 for security issues.) If you are running a stand alone Plex server and accessing from a different PC using the Plex app this is not a problem. I use my ReadyNAS as the Plex server, but you can certainly run the Plex server on any Windows box, server OS included.

As PCDoc stated, there is no replacement for WMC for TV recording if you 1) Use WMC for recording TV and/or 2) want/need to record encrypted Cable TV. As far as I know, only WMC has the ability to utilize the myriad of CableCard ready recording boxes. Other apps (including the parent of Plex - XBMC) do not have the approved software to use CableCards and record encrypted or even non-encrypted but switched cable television which the vast majority of cable companies now use.

Once you have the video recorded and stored in a non-encrypted format however, Plex is the best media server and app I've found for ease of setup, management, and use. In reality, you don't even need to use the Plex apps; accessing the Plex Media Server via web interface includes a built-in player in the web interface that is accessible from any browser on any OS I've tried.

Jason,

I know you asked about Plex, but have you considered MedaiBrowser3? I'm running MB3 on my server and MediaBrowser Classic on my htpc. With direct streaming to the htpc there is no server side overhead. The only time my cpu spikes is during metadata refreshes, specifically extraction of chapters. Downside is it's in beta and there is no mobile client, yet. The devs are promising a client for Android, Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone 7/8. There is an iOS plug-in, but it seems like it's still in alpha testing.

What would MB3 provide that Plex does not? I was a big fan of MB as the device to identify and list my TV and videos, but Plex does that as well as direct streaming to any device. Plus it will transcode *if* required, and you can set multiple transcode data rates for LAN vs celluar use (for example.) Not that I stream over cell to my phone - but it can, and does quite well. And Plex already has mature apps for Android and iOS an Linux and Win7/8.

tiemkills,

I completely agree that Plex has a more mature app ecosystem, and is probably more stable as as server application. I only suggested MB3 to the OP as he is currently using MediaBrowser and it would be an almost seemless front end transition within WMC. Sometimes WAF trumps all.

MB also has some very nice plug-ins (free and premium) for trailers, intros, specialty cover art, upcomming tv/movies/dvd's, as well as dozens of custom skins. If the OP had previously donated to the devs, the donations can be used to purchase any of premium plug-ins.

• 2 months later...

Plex should run on WHS2011 but if you encounter any database refresh issues on the server side, try disabling remote access.