RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

How many of you have Racks? (For servers and stuff....O.o)

Pancakes

Why do people keep saying racks are "noisy"? A rack is just a rack. If you stuck some fanless switches and atom 1u boxes in there it will be silent....

You can also just get a shelf and stick regular stuff in there, and it will be more organized than a random shelf with random stuff balancing on it

And why we are on weird "rack" songs ;)

FiLiNuX

Pancakes,

Thank you for a much needed morning laugh!!  EMC style had me rolling and I about fell out of my chair laughing when I heard "Your app is running hot in /opt/bin" in the second link.  Ive never been much on watching You Tube and the sort but BOTH of those links are GREAT!!

And thank you for understanding what a rack is.  

timekills

I think the guy at the very end of the second video (the one who is late) is the same from the Oppa song.

Anyhow, clearly racks in Scandanavia are noisy and power hungry. Oddly in the US they're just...racks. Largely dependent upon what they *hold* to define power and noise.

I guess you're not allowed to put new equipment in racks either. Better go take all my quiet, low power, 6 month old ESXi hosts out of the racks we recently installed at the embassy. Dang. If only I had known that ahead of time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ikon

To be fair guys, let's be honest. most rack-based gear has, in the past, and in many cases still today, been pretty noisy. No, the physical racks themselves aren't noisy (well, except when they get loose nuts & bolts) but the equipment such as heck was, and often still is. Let's just acknowledge that most people think of a 'rack' as the physical supports and the gear mounted in it.

I just set up and installed a HP Gen8 1U rack-mount server, and when it's booting it sounds like a small jet taxiing to the runway.

FiLiNuX

To be honest I started posting in this thread because of a blanket statement that rubbed me the wrong way.  Then there was more blanket statements so I stayed with it.  

Lets look at the opposite side of the server size spectrum and suppose I made a statement like ;

"All Micro Server users are beginner wanna be admins and Micro Servers in homes are all under powered incorrectly deployed glorified external disk enclosures."

As a general statement it would be incorrect just as I feel the comments in regards to racks were.  

"Let's just acknowledge that most people think of a 'rack' as the physical supports and the gear mounted in it."

I think of a rack as a rack and the gear in it as rack mounted equipment.  

Some of that equipment is loud, some is not, some of it is used by pros, some is not, some is efficient, some is not, and on and on.  

Ikon, is the Gen8 1U yours or were you setting it up for work / customer?  Either way Im jealous as I love new hardware!  I was looking at the DL320's and they aren't much more then a Micro Server Gen8 + Xeon setup and hold 32GB RAM. I would love to have a new half rack (first time I haven't said "Ill have the full rack" :) with a couple of those in it for happy hacking time!  I am guessing the noise went down to a pretty low level when the machine was booted?

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I use a rack for my equipment.

None of my systems are rackmount.

A rack is a very efficient use of space.

FiLiNuX

True & good point.

ikon

"Let's just acknowledge that most people think of a 'rack' as the physical supports and the gear mounted in it."

I think of a rack as a rack and the gear in it as rack mounted equipment.  

Some of that equipment is loud, some is not, some of it is used by pros, some is not, some is efficient, some is not, and on and on.  

Yes, we do, but most of the non-geek colleagues I work with don't, and I find a lot of geeks who aren't involved with server rooms/farms don't either. 'Course, some racks make a lot of noise all on their own, what with the high-speed fans (often on the top and back door) screaming away like they're at some jet engine test facility. With some of the racks I've used, the rack fans were louder than all of the equipment in the rack, combined.

Ikon, is the Gen8 1U yours or were you setting it up for work / customer?  Either way Im jealous as I love new hardware!  I was looking at the DL320's and they aren't much more then a Micro Server Gen8 + Xeon setup and hold 32GB RAM. I would love to have a new half rack (first time I haven't said "Ill have the full rack" :) with a couple of those in it for happy hacking time!  I am guessing the noise went down to a pretty low level when the machine was booted?

It was for a customer of a relative. IIRC, it was a DL360p. The noise definitely went down after bootup, but I'm not sure I would call 'quiet'. Put it this way: no way would it make a good HTPC in a living room. After all, it has those small, double-ended fans (2 fans mounted back to front in a push-pull arrangement). I think they're 40mm or so. Anyway, there are 8 of these in the unit (for a total of 16 physical fans), and they are noisy as heck when they spin up.

direktorn

Yes, we do, but most of the non-geek colleagues I work with don't, and I find a lot of geeks who aren't involved with server rooms/farms don't either. 'Course, some racks make a lot of noise all on their own, what with the high-speed fans (often on the top and back door) screaming away like they're at some jet engine test facility. With some of the racks I've used, the rack fans were louder than all of the equipment in the rack, combined..

The airflow in a DC is different compared to how things run at home. It's important to get an airflow to the back of the rack as quickly as possible (generally speaking) as the back of the rack is the "hot zone". No one really cares how noisy a DC is, I've worked in Datacenters for the last 15 years from Carrier grade DC's to "server room" kind of rack storage and the first thing you always bring would be your earphones (how would you otherwise hear your boss calling when shit hits the fan?

• Like 1

msawyer91

Does a "build your own" rack count? I bought a shelving unit so that I could stack three of my servers on top of each other. When they arranged across a long counter, including free-standing hard drives, it seemed like I was wasting a ton of space. By stacking them up, I was able to get two of the four UPSes off the floor and still freed up a ton of space on the counter.

I am deliberately keeping that space open, because I'm hoping to pay a visit to the Apple Store on Black Friday and come out with a new 27" iMac. The missus said I could have one--as long as I paid for it in cash, or use my PayPal debit card -- so each sale of my WindowSMART 2013 software feeds my iMac fund! ;)

• Like 1