RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

How many of you have Racks? (For servers and stuff....O.o)

direktorn

I need to get a rack. Not sure I really have the room, but I do need/want one.

Namely because I have a nice Norco 4220. :)

Also, Ikea apparently makes some pretty nice, and cheap racks. :P

For some reason it seems most are stuck in the 80:th when hard drives where in the size of MB not TB. My shelf has 18TB or more in storage in 12 3.5" and 6 2.5" SSD drives in total. Would fit in 20% of a full-height rack. Racks are for amateurs who like big old servers with Pentium II processors and old SCSI 3.5" 72GB drives. 

Drashna Jaelre

Or for those that have a lot of hardware and are OCD about organization. :)

FiLiNuX

"Racks are for amateurs who like big old servers with Pentium II processors and old SCSI 3.5" 72GB drives." 

I know one of those  "amateurs" and I think its a Pentium Pro in his home rack not a PII (among other new amazing rack mount equipment).   Over long discussions about older hardware still being capable and the re-purposing of it he told me the Pentium Pro server was added to his development servers for a new OS variant he had been working on at the time.  The OS was Linux & he already had a decade + of Unix Administration under his belt at the time.  I hope to be achieve some level CLOSE to his amateur knowledge about computing some day.  A 72GB SCSI drive would be a huge drive in P2 days. 

"For some reason it seems most are stuck in the 80:th when hard drives where in the size of MB not TB."

In  a SERIOUS data center, a hackers home, or ANY PLACE maximum processing, routing, switching, or general computing power is required with minimal physical footprint RACKS ARE THE WAY TO GO in the 80's and NOW.  *

*This information is based on my own opinion and not my employers @ ACME Rack Manufactures or my affiliation with the National Institute for Rack Computing.  

• Like 1

ikon

Also, Ikea apparently makes some pretty nice, and cheap racks. :P

Ha! How did you know my rack brand? If you doubt me, check out my server photos that I've post links to in several threads -- that is indeed an Ikea wooden rack  :D

• Like 1

direktorn

In  a SERIOUS data center, a hackers home, or ANY PLACE maximum processing, routing, switching, or general computing power is required with minimal physical footprint RACKS ARE THE WAY TO GO in the 80's and NOW.  *

*This information is based on my own opinion and not my employers @ ACME Rack Manufactures or my affiliation with the National Institute for Rack Computing.  

Space is a CAPX cost that very few cares about at you can write off your investment. What companies cares about when it comes to datacenters are OPEX costs where your energy bill is one of the most important ones, might even the only one. That's why Facebook selected Sweden as their only DC location outside US and why Google selected Finland for their biggest DC outside US.

Old servers don't really do that well in terms of energy efficiency. Also old hardware gives all sorts of issues, for example no or limited USB support, no or limited PCI support. Sure you don't need these things if you're compiling code on a PII but a Raspberry Pi costs almost nothing and is superfast and superefficient compared.

I like to upgrade my servers at home as It's more then a hobby for me, I have a test environment at home where I deploy stuff.

FiLiNuX

Your right, thats why so many data centers DO NOT use rack mounted equipment.  Probably because racks use so much energy.  I imagine its MUCH easier to work on multiple tower servers by bending over to reach them on the floor.  Ill just turn in my expense account with things like, new Fluke, 2 X 1000' cat 5 e, back brace, chiropractor visits, aspirin for all the headaches of opening a tower for ANY hardware issue.  

Me & my pot stirring spoon would like to provide you with this link that sums it up.  :) 

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/the-pros-and-cons-of-tower-rack-and-blade-servers/

JayBee

Racks are big, noisy and totally unnecessary for home use. I work on racks every day and would never dream of using one at home. Unless you have 40+ network points a central rack is simply not a requirement and those who implement them at home never do it correctly anyway. A decent size rack will need a decent size supply of power to adequately power all of your equipment so forget plugging everything into a normal home power socket. They also produce a lot of heat when full so need to be situated in an area with good ventilation and a cooling system (a basic air conditioner is fine in most cases). Did I mention they're loud? It's much easier to just situate your equipment in different parts of the house in most home environments. Plus in case of an emergency you can have multiple physical backups in different locations (USB HDD's) that are easily accessible rather than one central part of the house.

With your knowledge filinux, I'm shock at the argument you present. Surely you could have done better rather than rattle on about data centres which are a completely different scenario than somebody playing around with basic equipment in a home environment. Surely you can see the difference.

I guess it might help you pull girls though Pancakes "Nice rack, wanna see mine?"  :lol:

Edited by JayBee

Dave

I've always wanted a "home rack."  Not in the data center sense but an all purpose rack.  Patch panel at the top, switches underneath.  A monitor, KVM of some sort, a couple shelves of servers, not blades. Maybe someday a 2U server. Synology box sitting on a shelf, a couple of USB 3 backup drives, firewall.  Then a big ole UPS at the bottom.  Instead of spreading out all this gear in my downstairs equipment room use the vertical height smartly.

<heading off to craigslist for a cheap chatsworth and shelves/>

FiLiNuX

"With your knowledge filinux, I'm shock at the argument you present." 

Thank you.  Did I say it had to be a rack system that would make NASA want to lease clock cycles from you?  A half rack that would house a couple of small servers (super micro has some GREAT ones that are more or less rack mount micro servers) a cisco router & a cisco switch (all equipment I have for a lab setup) is a PERFECT setup for a home lab.  This type rack setup saves space, keeps me from placing equipment in a way that it was not meant to be placed, requires NO MORE power, cooling, noise considerations then a non rack deployment.   Truthfully power / cooling / noise considerations are all a factor of WHAT YOU PUT IN THE RACK not a rack itself.  

"Surely you could have done better rather than rattle on about data centres which are a completely different scenario than somebody playing around with basic equipment in a home environment. Surely you can see the difference."

I stated what I did about data centers in reply to the post above my last.  The difference is not as cut and dry as you may think.  What most on this site do is probably considered Nerd Overkill in most peoples views.  Everyone's computing needs & wants are different and require different setups.  With the worlds best server OS's, complex hardware RAID arrays with FBWC, Xeons & ECC, 321 backup solutions, production & testing environments in same location, (and on and on) the only difference is scale AND THE END USERS PREFERENCE.  

"Unless you have 40+ network points a central rack is simply not a requirement and those who implement them at home never do it correctly anyway."

Is network points like Nerd Cred? :)  What if you have 10 folding servers & no network points?  Dang & I was going to have my friends come install my new rack but they have them at home too and I don't want mine implemented incorrectly. :)

Hate the game not the rack!!   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLvUfGZgQmE

Edited by FiLiNuX