RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

How many of you have Racks? (For servers and stuff....O.o)

Pancakes

Interested to know, it feels like at some point I will need a rack and then all my regular hardware will because a PITA to store

schoondoggy

I am in the process of moving back to a rack.

None of my equipment is rack-mount, but I have a bunch of shelves.

I found an older two post with a deep base on wheels.

I have had enclosed racks, but I like open two and four post racks.

pcdoc

Same with me, everything is on a shelf.  I would like to have a rack but I dislike most rack mount cases and I am trying to shrink.  I would not mind if I could find a nice quiet rack mounted case that did not cost too much.

BSR

I used to have a wall-mounted rack, but it was a total pain to get in/out of.  When it got damaged moving to my last house I junked it, as I didn't even have room for that sort of rack.

I just moved again and have the room, and have considered going to a 25U half-size rack, so I could put the KVM switch/monitor on top. 

But I hesitate -- it only seems worth it if you can find a deal on CraigsList, and I do have a lot of decent shelving that the servers are on right now. The servers are easy to get to, have plenty of ventilation, and are in a basement area where nobody cares if it looks nice.  Do I really need that rack?

I think my rack-desire is just old work habits that sometimes force "IT Department" solutions into a family/home situation.  For me, it's probably overkill.

Ooh....wait!  There's another one on CraigsList that looks almost new for $200!  Hmmmmm....

ikon

I've thought about using a rack, but it really kind of limits the choice of chassis you can use. Yeah, you can get shelves for 19" racks, but what's the point? Might as well just get a shelving unit in that case.

I do have a very small (10U?) wall-mount unit that I  keep swearing I'm going use for my LAN cabling. I can't recall if my Netgear GS116E came with rack dogs or not. If it did, I probably have them in the box somewhere and would likely mount it as well.

gyrene2083

I've gone back and forth with this idea for some time now, for now I have my two rackmounts on one of those wired shelves from home Depot. You know the 5 shelve heavy duty one. But eventually when I move I'll just build a cabinet enclosure. I already have the plans saved up. But for now is the home Depot shelves.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

direktorn

At home? I've been working as an IT consultant for the last 8 years or so and have been running webhosting business. Rackmounted servers belongs in datacenters, period. They are to noisy to be hosted at home and you generally don't need one, IMHO.

I have dedicated one of my wardrobes for my IT-stuff, 1000mm servers wont fit there :) But it's 19" wide :)

Jason

I have one of those wired Home Depot shelving units in my garage near my structured wiring panel. Because of higher ambient temperatures, I only have a UPS, pfsense Atom PC, gigabit switch and cable modem out there. My WSE2012 server is a full tower Fractal Design case in my home office for climate control. And it's not an eye sore.

Drashna Jaelre

I need to get a rack. Not sure I really have the room, but I do need/want one.

Namely because I have a nice Norco 4220. :)

Also, Ikea apparently makes some pretty nice, and cheap racks. :P

Edited by Drashna (WGS)