RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

WS2012E + What Drivepool/Extender + Health software?

Pancakes

I want just to pool my drives together, so redundancy or anything like that, but I want to be able to add and remove drives at will and just have the data on the drive it was always on.

What software? and does said software have some kind of health checking program built in, if not what would you recommend?

KydDynoMyte

How are you planing on keeping track of what data is on what drive?

Are you wanting to put certain data on certain drive letters (or mounted folders) but have all those files be viewable as a pool? I don't know of software that does this (if there isn't, there should be)  but you could always select multiple drives/folders and search them to get multiple drive data listed in one window.

Or are you wanting to put data on a pool and have the pool software fill up one whole drive before it moves on to the next one? I think I was reading Stablebit DrivePool could have a balancer set up like that and you could use Stablebit Scanner for drive health checking. Looks like you could also set up a balancer to put certain files on certain drives.

If you just want to willy-nilly pull out a drive not knowing what data is on it and add a new drive I suppose any pooling software would work for you as long as it doesn't span files across drives.

Pancakes

Yep, its all movies and TV shows so I don't really care. I just want to be able to remove them from the pool or replace a drive and not lose the data on the other drives.

ikon

flexRAID has a storage pool mode that does just what you want. The only caveat is that you can have only one storage pool per computer. Apparently, a multi-storage-pool version is in the works (which is what I'm waiting for).

Pancakes

Ahh awesome! I don't think I need 2 pools anyway

I guess ill go for that then

ikon

Pay close attention to the directions. The default configuration wizard will set up a RAID pool, which is not what you want. You go into Expert mode to pick Storage Pool. There is a trial version, so you can play with it for a couple of weeks before buying.

KydDynoMyte

So if one drive goes bad or you need to replace a smaller drive with a larger one you want to be able to pull out the bad or small drive and only loose those shows/movies on the drive you pull. I would think that's how all pooling software works. It might be difficult to keep track of which shows/moives you lost if a drive dies. Wouldn't be bad if the bad drive is well enough to transfer the data off of it or at least get a list of the files on it. Are all your shows/movies a single file? If there are any with subtitle files or broken up like some dvd rips you could have even more fun if the different files span different drives for the same movie. Just thinking about this makes me hope I don't outgrow my little NAS with 2 mirroed 3TB drives in it. I better start watching some of that stuff and delteing it to make room for more.

Pancakes

So if one drive goes bad or you need to replace a smaller drive with a larger one you want to be able to pull out the bad or small drive and only loose those shows/movies on the drive you pull. I would think that's how all pooling software works. It might be difficult to keep track of which shows/moives you lost if a drive dies. Wouldn't be bad if the bad drive is well enough to transfer the data off of it or at least get a list of the files on it. Are all your shows/movies a single file? If there are any with subtitle files or broken up like some dvd rips you could have even more fun if the different files span different drives for the same movie. Just thinking about this makes me hope I don't outgrow my little NAS with 2 mirroed 3TB drives in it. I better start watching some of that stuff and delteing it to make room for more.

They are all single files yeah, and the show/movie list is in Plex so thats no problem. And as for drives failing, the chances of a drive just dropping dead is pretty slim, you would get SMART errors way before

ikon

With flexRAID you can remove and add drives to the Storage Pool.

KydDynoMyte

With flexRAID you can remove and add drives to the Storage Pool.

Can't you add and remove drives with all pool software? Does flexRAID have the built in health monitoring he is also looking for?

I guess I need to look into this Plex thing everyone is always mentioning. I think it'll run on my little nas, I don't need transcoding, yet.