RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

File Sync Program, What Works?

PCEddie

RoboCopy can copy date & time info to the destination: /COPY:DT. It can also copy lots of other file info. If you want to copy it all you can use /COPYALL, which is also supposed to copy ACL info.

The robocopy has a known bug with date copyong that Microsoft confirmed.

What I also liked about gscopypro is that it can copy open files with no issues... so we can backup pst files for users while outlook is open and back them up. This is not possible with allwaysync or robocopy.

It is not free but also very cheap so it worked out.

The pro one copies open files.

I haven't had any issues with date & time copying, but there are s number of versions of RoboCopy. Do you happen to know which version(s) of RoboCopy are affected?

Agreed, the ability to copy open files is a plus, but only if you need it.

It was with win and 2k8r2 sp1.  I will check the kb article.In our case it was critical to use it for Email archives which outlook locks and to ensure files in source are also in target.Another shortfall for robocoy is when it is copying files to destination and there is a locked file there robocopy terminates if I recall which drove us crazy. Gscopypro skips tge file if locked in destination so it played well as we did not have to stop services on the DR server during those backups to avoid those issues.Robosopy overall is great but it seemed some issues can be challenging espesially with some parameters have to meet certain order... gscopypro was easier... I guess free vs. Paid is what it comes down to.Will find the kb and see if you have some thoughts on it.Thank you sharing

Yeah, it is interesting. I would enjoy reading the article.

I don't believe RoboCopy terminates if the source or destination file is locked; it just tries over and over the number of times and the interval specified by the /R and /W parameters. After the retry count is exhausted it skips the file and moves on to the next. The scary part is that the default retry count is 1 million and the default interval is 30 seconds.... do the math :blink: 

I decided to try Allway Sync on my WS2012E and set it up to sync files between my WHS2011 and WS2012E. So far I am impressed. I will run more tests before I decide to pull the trigger for the pro version. So far so good with syncing my files between both servers.

Does Microsofts SyncToy work on WHS & WS2012E?

No, well... sort over but mostly no. It installs fine but lots of people have reported data corruption issues on technet with WHS. Not sure about 2012e

What about BittorrentSync? I have heard good things about it but never really looked at it

In comparison, I would without doubt use AllwaySync as it more mainstream, upgraded more frequently and is designed for this task.  Just my opinion.