RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

File Sync Program, What Works?

PCEddie

I have been looking off and on for a file sync software to sync the files between two WHS (2011 and 2012). I stumbled across Allways Sync but the reviews have been luke warm at best. I am looking for a file sync software that will run on WHS 2011 and WS2012E and sync files automatically between both severs. They are both on the same network.

Thanks for any suggests.

• Like 1

FiLiNuX

Does Microsofts SyncToy work on WHS & WS2012E?

pcdoc

I have been looking off and on for a file sync software to sync the files between two WHS (2011 and 2012). I stumbled across Allways Sync but the reviews have been luke warm at best. I am looking for a file sync software that will run on WHS 2011 and WS2012E and sync files automatically between both severs. They are both on the same network.

Thanks for any suggests.

Not sure why they do not like it but I sure do.  I have ton a bunch of writes and a couple of videos on it and still use it exclusively to this day.  It is a hundred times better that sync toy in terms of customizing and can be tuned folder by folder.  Here is a search link for my site for you review.

http://thedocsworld.net/?s=allwaysync&submit=

PCEddie

Thanks PCDoc, I am looking at your link.

ikon

If, after reviewing pcdoc's information, you still are not enthused with AllWaySync, you could consider RoboCopy, particularly if you would be satisfied with the sync operations taking place on a less than realtime basis, say once a day, or a couple of times a day.

PCEddie

Can I run Allway Sync run as a service? What I would like to do is sync folders between my WHS2011 and WS2012E once a day. 

ecthomason

You could use BitTorent Sync. It's pretty fast over LAN.

ikon

Almost any program that doesn't require direct input from the user can be made to run as a service.

Mr_Smartepants

Can I run Allway Sync run as a service? What I would like to do is sync folders between my WHS2011 and WS2012E once a day. 

Yes.

When you install Allway Sync it gives you the option to install a "synchronizer service".

I paid for Allwaysync and use it on both my server (to the drobo) as well as all our family client machines.

It has its quirks though and I've been toying with moving the server to a robocopy script for simplicity.

*Edit, you don't have to install on both machines, only one to either 'push' or 'pull' the files.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

NYCIT

I used to use robocopy but had two issues with it:

1) Did not copy the date time stamp on the destination folders (it put the day they got copied).

2) we had some issues with copying ACL (inheritance) where it sometimes left some security groups out.

I found gscopypro which works similar way as robocopy but a lot easier and addresses these concerns with one additional advantage. gscopypro can copy open files with no issues so our copying was always great. You can automate it with scheduled tasks.

Edited by NYCIT
  • Like 1