RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

16GB RAM with USB3 Card

Pancakes

So I took the 16GB out of my PC to test in my server and it worked 100% of the time. Restarted 10 times and got 16GB on boot 10 times.

THEN, I put a USB 3.0 PCI-E x1 card in there, and then I got only 8GB on 3 of the 10 boots. Possible reason or just coincidence? 

Well, the N40L microserver only officially supports 8GB RAM.  

"Some" people have had success with 16GB RAM by using specific modules and even then, there's no guarantee those modules will work on your N40L. 

It's possible that the PCIx card is using some resources needed by the system to recognize your 16GB.

YMMV

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

Well, the N40L microserver only officially supports 8GB RAM.  "Some" people have had success with 16GB RAM by using specific modules and even then, there's no guarantee those modules will work on your N40L. 

YMMV

I know, and that's what I am saying

It seems to work fine with no PCI-E cards, It would be interesting to see what cards people have and whether they work

You may have just stumbled onto one of the contributing factors for success / failure in using 16GB of RAM in the Microservers.

Joe_Miner has had mixed results with his N40L and 16GB of RAM and he also uses a PCIe USB3 card.  I can't say for certain he had the card installed when he noticed he didn't always detect 16GB of RAM but hopefully he will chime in and give his thoughts.

@Pancakes - Is your USB3 card self powered or does it have a separate power connection from the power supply?

You may have just stumbled onto one of the contributing factors for success / failure in using 16GB of RAM in the Microservers.

Joe_Miner has had mixed results with his N40L and 16GB of RAM and he also uses a PCIe USB3 card.  I can't say for certain he had the card installed when he noticed he didn't always detect 16GB of RAM but hopefully he will chime in and give his thoughts.

@Pancakes - Is your USB3 card self powered or does it have a separate power connection from the power supply?

My 2nd N40L always gives me mixed results with the G.Skill F3-1333C9D-16GAO with PCIe cards installed and without PCIe cards (USB3 cards, single NIC's, dual NIC's, RR2720, R640L, R620L) installed.  I haven't found any pattern to it.  I never had issues with the G.Skill in my other 2 MicroServers.  The Kingston ECC KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G works without issue in all three of my MicroServers.  Clearly YMMV

HP only certifies the MicroServer at 8GB -- my Kingston ECC KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G works flawlessly and is what I'm currently using with my "production" WHS2011 machine.

Edited by Joe_Miner