RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage Space Issues

mazen97

Hi everyone,

Here is my story from the beginning.

I had an old desktop with 6 x 2TB hard drives and I used all types of RAID system (software RAID) starting with FreeNAS, Ubuntu 12 LTE and end up with Windows 8 Pro.  I backed up my data to 8 x 1TB USB hard drives installed on my Lenovo Ultrabook using Storage Space.  The beauty of it, once the pool get full I add another hard drive until I backed up my 5.6TB then I installed Win8 Pro on the desktop and created the storage space and then I copied my data back to the desktop.  Life were so easy until the pool gave me a warning to add 3 disks so I decided to add couple of old HDDs but once click on add drive and starting to add it, it throws an error and never add any drive so I decided to get a new desktop with more SATA connection and add some 3TB HDD in addition to the old 6x2TBs.  I bought Gigabyte motherboard Z77X-D3H with Intel i5 and 16 GB RAM.  Updated the motherboard to latest firmware and installed windows 8.  Once I install the Intel RAID driver windows get stuck and never boot correctly then I formatted the computer 3 times and the last time I decided not to install any driver from Gigabyte.

Here is the dilemma, I created the storage space and then I tried to add a new drive.  Guess what, the error came up with the previous desktop appeared!!!!  Check it in the attachment. error.jpg

1. If anyone has a clue about the error, please share it with me as I tried many things but no luck.
  2. If one of the hard drives died.  Just unplug it and add a new one then the storage will be built??  Is it as simple as this??? My Storage is a Parity one with currently 11 HDDs.
Edited by mazen97

Mazen97,

Wow!  I have had several errors using Storage Spaces and they where on internal drives, I can not even imagine using it on USB.  I have never have been able to trace out the Storage Spaces errors as their messages are cryptic at best, and in my opinion is the most unstable tech out there especially on Win 8.  The error message looks like it comes from one of your USB drives (are you mixing USB 3/2?)  The answer to your second question is that it is supposed to but it will be crap shoot as to whether or not it will.  I will make a few suggestions that have worked for me and some guidelines based on my own experiences for what is worth.  If you can avoid pooling or raiding USB, do so, it is not a great combo.  If you can't. give up on Storage Spaces and use a software tool like Stablebit as it manages the drives better than SS.  Second, do not ever use the Intel RAID drivers, avoid it at all costs especially if you are going to cross between Sata 2 and 3 as it is extremely buggy.  Intel makes the best hard war but their peripheral drivers are lousy (I am being nice) The IRT drivers will never be allowed to install on my system as they are consistently problematic in my experience with them.  The hardware you have is very good and very stable but keep your install of drivers from GB to the following.  Chipset, MEI, Lan and forget the rest.  You need to have those three installed and you should be good to go.

As a side note, you might be better off in the long run to pickup one external box like a Sans Digital or equivalent and move the external drives to internal.  Performance will be better and less prone to problems.  Just a thought.

The error message looks like it comes from one of your USB drives (are you mixing USB 3/2?)

The USB usage was for a test purpose but the hard drives I'm currently using now is internal and I tried to add the last dive last night via SATA 2 connection but same error!!!

The reason that I moved to SS that I'm concerned about the extreme scenario where the motherboard die so I have to replace it with let's say another brand and then I connect my HDDs and then does recognize the RAID? For SS it worked fine for me but as you see I'm getting this error where it concerns me now if one of the drives dies and want to replace it or I want to expand the storage with larger drives without adding others!! How to do so?

One strange thing about Parity in SS, it takes about 25% of the total space as a parity while RAID 5 takes exactly 1 drive for parity. I have a total space (without parity) 25.5TB and with parity it became 16.5TB !!! What a waste of space. Does Stablebit do the same or not? If I moves to new box, does Stablebit recognize the HDD like with SS?

Thanks pcdoc for your help.

The software such as Stabilbit uses duplication not parity so you physical copy to two drives.  This will "waste" space but it does make it really easy to put it into a different system to retrieve that data.  If you have that much space than you really should consider only hardware raid.  If you have more that roughly 6 drives in a RAID, that I would consider RAID 6 otherwise RAID 5 has always worked well for me.  Adding the caveat that RAID is not a backup so still back up your critical data somewhere else. RAID 5 technology is tried and true and is awesome for uptime with minimal pain but it need to only be done with a card.  I can not encourage you enough not to use parity with SS or motherboard RAID 5.  I have done it more times that I can remember and the story has never been good for the long haul.  It works, but not robust.  RAID 5 with a decent card is robust and you can easily port it to another system (the entire array only not a single drive).

Here is a link for how to replace a bad disk from MS:  http://bit.ly/117MADz

Here some of my experiences:

http://thedocsworld.net/category/raid/

Hi pcdoc,

The problem is the motherboard I'm using have only 8 sata ports with RAID and I added a PCI card with RAID enabled. But my concern that if the card damages or the motherboard and I didn't find the same model, how I can get my array back?

That's way I'm moving to software RAID and now I'm considering using FlexRAID to create a large pool with two disks parity from a total 12 HDDs. I read somewhere that I can use it with Stablebit or Drive Bender, do you know where I can get some good documentation on how to integrate them? What about using Stablebit to drive bender? I found out that Stablebit drive pool is a beta version not an official release!!

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Mazen

Hi pcdoc,

The problem is the motherboard I'm using have only 8 sata ports with RAID and I added a PCI card with RAID enabled. But my concern that if the card damages or the motherboard and I didn't find the same model, how I can get my array back?

That's way I'm moving to software RAID and now I'm considering using FlexRAID to create a large pool with two disks parity from a total 12 HDDs. I read somewhere that I can use it with Stablebit or Drive Bender, do you know where I can get some good documentation on how to integrate them? What about using Stablebit to drive bender? I found out that Stablebit drive pool is a beta version not an official release!!

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Mazen

That is the main reason for going with a main stream RAID card.  I have taken my array, threw in a new version (upgraded card) and after installing the drivers, the array just came up.

Thanks pcdoc for the reply.

I am convinced that I have to go for hardware RAID (RAID controller) but I am trying all morning to find a good PCI or PCI-E that supports 12 internal SATA connection!!

Can you help me in finding such card?

Or is there another way to have a large pool with 12 HDD connected using RAID 6??  Provided that if the card damaged in the future then I just get any other brand that supports the same RAID then my array will come to live again.

I have 6TB of personal data and I don't want to lose it in the future.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mazen

Thanks pcdoc for the reply.

I am convinced that I have to go for hardware RAID (RAID controller) but I am trying all morning to find a good PCI or PCI-E that supports 12 internal SATA connection!!

Can you help me in finding such card?

Or is there another way to have a large pool with 12 HDD connected using RAID 6??  Provided that if the card damaged in the future then I just get any other brand that supports the same RAID then my array will come to live again.

I have 6TB of personal data and I don't want to lose it in the future.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mazen

You can use something like this one.  A bit pricey but it will run 16 drives.  Also as you know, drives in RAID must be the same size and type per array.  There is also the option of running two cards so that you can pick up 2 2720 cards (or equiv) and get a total of 16 drives.  When you get that many drives it becomes a bit pricey.  I used to have the same issue but opted to go for 3T drives instead of daisy chaining cards together,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115085&IsVirtualParent=1

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118142

Thanks pcdoc

I just placed and order in amazon.com for HighPoint RocketRAID 2700 Series with 4 SAS ports and got 4 SAS to SATA cables.  But it is really expensive around $450.

Appriciate your valuable help.

Mazen

Thanks pcdoc

I just placed and order in amazon.com for HighPoint RocketRAID 2700 Series with 4 SAS ports and got 4 SAS to SATA cables.  But it is really expensive around $450.

Appriciate your valuable help.

Mazen

Did not know you where going to that quick.  I would have also recommended you look at the 3ware (forward type) cables instead of the Highpoint.  They are better, cheaper, more flexible, and they look cool.  They Highpoint cables are fine but just another option.