RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
vinylfreak

How about a game of Musical Hardware?

vinylfreak

Very Nice, these are one of the few CAS 8 sets out there especially for the price.  Did they recognize correctly in the BIOS?  Did the XMP Profile setting work?  To answer your question, yes I am running a GTX 660 discrete card.  Also would be interested in your final settings.  My 9-9-9-24 would not run at that speed.  Final settings where 10-11-11-28.  No real impact to performance but annoying none the less.

Thanks

Yes I had no problem with the BIOS recognizing them. The XMP settings did work , 1 & 2.

My timings in the BIOS show up as 8-8-8-24.

Dave

I've been following your build VF. Very nice. Can't wait for more photos.  I was surprised at the link to the Crucial RAM. It was a few dollars cheaper on Crucial's store than it was on the Egg or Amazon.  I doubt Crucial could beat Amazon's shipping and how quick you can get it with Amazon prime.  Some times it's really worth the extra $4 to overnight it!  I've done that so many times and it usually involves RAM or a FAN or some part that didn't quite fit in the mobo!  Interesting though.

Amazon  BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0 $154.99

Crucial $151.99

vinylfreak

I've been following your build VF. Very nice. Can't wait for more photos.  I was surprised at the link to the Crucial RAM. It was a few dollars cheaper on Crucial's store than it was on the Egg or Amazon.  I doubt Crucial could beat Amazon's shipping and how quick you can get it with Amazon prime.  Some times it's really worth the extra $4 to overnight it!  I've done that so many times and it usually involves RAM or a FAN or some part that didn't quite fit in the mobo!  Interesting though.

Amazon  BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0 $154.99

Crucial $151.99

I actually did buy my from Amazon with Prime shipping for $145.88.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A14ZTRO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pcdoc

I ended up buying a set from Newegg as well for $154 at the regular height.  Could not resist giving it a try as I am not liking the way the GSkill which has been my memory of choice for years, is being read from this board.  Working great but bothered by the detuned settings of 10-11-11-29 on memory that is rated at 9-9-9-24.  Will move the GSkill to another system if this works out.

VF, which BIOS version are you running?

vinylfreak

I ended up buying a set from Newegg as well for $154 at the regular height.  Could not resist giving it a try as I am not liking the way the GSkill which has been my memory of choice for years, is being read from this board.  Working great but bothered by the detuned settings of 10-11-11-29 on memory that is rated at 9-9-9-24.  Will move the GSkill to another system if this works out.

VF, which BIOS version are you running?

I'm currently running F5.

There is a Beta F6j but I could not get it to load after several attempts. 

gigbios_zps736a4770.jpg

On another note ..... one thing that I was really pumped about , was that the GA-Z87X-UD5H mb , came with a front panel USB 3 adapter plate with 2 ports. I went to the trouble to install the plate in the front of my HTPC , pluged the cable into the USB 3 port on the mb and both front ports are dead. Anyone have a clue???? It appears the drivers are installed.

• Like 1

pcdoc

I'm currently running F5.

There is a Beta F6j but I could not get it to load after several attempts. 

gigbios_zps736a4770.jpg

On another note ..... one thing that I was really pumped about , was that the GA-Z87X-UD5H mb , came with a front panel USB 3 adapter plate with 2 ports. I went to the trouble to install the plate in the front of my HTPC , pluged the cable into the USB 3 port on the mb and both front ports are dead. Anyone have a clue???? It appears the drivers are installed.

You can get the latest Beta BIOS from tweaktown.com.  They are up to F6N which what I am running.  Your benchmarks will improve a bit over F5.  As for the USB ports, have you tried another cable?  Mine worked fine and I would be surprised it is in the MB.  Try a different header.

PS:  Just installed the Crucial memory and so far so good.  It benchmarks a bit faster, seems to run very stable but it does run the CPU a bit hotter (about 5 degrees)  Thanks for the lead.  I will be impressed with crucial  if it runs stable for the next few days as it does now even after the stress test  considering the status of the BIOS's that are out now.  Good catch on the Crucial.

vinylfreak

OK .........here we go....

This is my most recent HTPC, this case will become my wifes pc. Cyberpower APC below.

DSC02532.jpg

Here is the Gigabyte MB that was in it originally , which will become my New WHS 2011 board.

P1000586.jpg

This is what my Wife is currently using as a PC. This case is almost 9 years old . It was my original HTPC. The case will become my New WHS 2011. It was running an Asus AMD 939 MB that is about 9 years old.

2b19bbbe-e6c6-4faa-a0e0-50d53e58389b_zps

My Wifes New MB will become this.....my Old WHS 2011 board....with me so far? Lynfield chip set.

P1000755.jpg

My New HTPC will be housed in this case. ( My Old WHS 2011)

P1000790.jpg

P1000789.jpg

P1000715.jpg

More later....................I have a Headache. ;-)

ikon

Nice work VF, and nice pics too. When it comes to these multi-system builds just remember, you eat an elephant one bite at a time :)