RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
vinylfreak

How about a game of Musical Hardware?

vinylfreak

Hey Tim, I see you bought the identical hardware I did (except for the PS).  Remember to buy approved ram or limit yourself to two banks of RAM as the Haswell boards are still temperamental and a bit unstable.  If you head the memory warning and cool it properly, you will love it.

http://thedocsworld.net/haswell-part-3-core-i7-4770/

I was hoping to reuse the 16 gigs of Corsair Ram I had in my previous HTPC , but the heat-sink height on the Ram sticks ran into my low profile Noctura CPU cooler.  :(

Looks like I will be shopping for some low profile , Haswell approved Ram.  :wacko:

BTW so far I really love this board. Well laid out.

FiLiNuX

Vinylfreak is the hardware pictured above really for a HTPC?!?!?!?

HOLY HTPC HORSEPOWER BATMAN!!  That is going to be AMAZING.  Even when/if you are doing heavy trans-coding and all other HTPC duties you could use the extra CPU resources to run a few other small jobs.  Like figuring out orbital trajectories of satellites for NASA!!  :)     

I hope there is lots more pix and reflections as the build progresses.  I always love hearing real-world usage information on new hardware (haswell & 1150 mobo).  

Just followed the link pcdoc provided of a similar build and it looks great so far!  Thanks Doc!

ikon

Have you considered trimming the RAM heatsinks so they fit. I've done it in the past.

pcdoc

I was hoping to reuse the 16 gigs of Corsair Ram I had in my previous HTPC , but the heat-sink height on the Ram sticks ran into my low profile Noctura CPU cooler.  :(

Looks like I will be shopping for some low profile , Haswell approved Ram.  :wacko:

BTW so far I really love this board. Well laid out.

They have some low profile stuff that is pretty good.  If you only get two sticks, (2x8), you will not have to worry about Haswell approved.  By the time you jump to 32 they will have straightened out the BIOS mess.

vinylfreak

Vinylfreak is the hardware pictured above really for a HTPC?!?!?!?

HOLY HTPC HORSEPOWER BATMAN!!  That is going to be AMAZING.  Even when/if you are doing heavy trans-coding and all other HTPC duties you could use the extra CPU resources to run a few other small jobs.  Like figuring out orbital trajectories of satellites for NASA!!   :)     

I hope there is lots more pix and reflections as the build progresses.  I always love hearing real-world usage information on new hardware (haswell & 1150 mobo).  

Just followed the link pcdoc provided of a similar build and it looks great so far!  Thanks Doc!

Yeah , I do tend to over build my boxes a little.

I don't have a lot of money to be upgrading all the time , so I want my builds to last me a while.

My old HTPC had an I7 2600 K sandy bridge and 16 gigs of Ram.

That all being said , in addition to being my HTPC , I also use Photoshop , Lightroom , trans-code video and archive my Music and Video collection , so that extra horsepower comes in handy , from time to time.

:D

I promise , when I get done pics will be coming. I am still working on configuring my Wifes PC and my HTPC. I just started on my WHS , tonight. I think I might have bitten off a little more than I could chew , trying to upgrade and rebuild three PCs all at the same time.

Heck , when I re installed WHS 2011 it had well over 100 Windows updates alone.

I still have to reassemble my Raid 5.

Hopefully tomorrow.

vinylfreak

Ok , Quick update ...I ended up getting some low profile Crucial memory today from Amazon. It solved my memory issue.

WP_20130723_001_zpsc24f0a8c.jpg

It also took my Windows Performance Index score from 5.9 to 8.1!  =D

WPIHTPC_zpse11a1cb4.jpg

And finally , here is the Atto score for my new Samsung 840 250gb , that's running my OS in my HTPC. This is the first time in over 8 years I haven't striped my OS drive. So far I'm happy with the single drive. Its plenty fast enough.*( I did end up striping two 128 Samsung 830 SSDs for my WHS 2011 OS though........ ;) )

Samsung840256gbHTPC_zps68255c73.jpg

More later..........

Joe_Miner

Very nice VF!!

pcdoc

What RAM speed did get?  Did you get 1600 Cas 10 Cas 9? I like these Crucials, I am forever sold on low profile memory from now on.

noa5.png

vinylfreak

What RAM speed did get?  Did you get 1600 Cas 10 Cas 9? I like these Crucials, I am forever sold on low profile memory from now on.

noa5.png

I got these Doc.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0

I couldn't help but notice , your WPI score was higher than mine ,  :rolleyes: are those graphics scores from a discreet card or on board??

Nice stats. 

pcdoc

I got these Doc.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0

I couldn't help but notice , your WPI score was higher than mine ,  :rolleyes: are those graphics scores from a discreet card or on board??

Nice stats. 

Very Nice, these are one of the few CAS 8 sets out there especially for the price.  Did they recognize correctly in the BIOS?  Did the XMP Profile setting work?  To answer your question, yes I am running a GTX 660 discrete card.  Also would be interested in your final settings.  My 9-9-9-24 would not run at that speed.  Final settings where 10-11-11-28.  No real impact to performance but annoying none the less.