RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Acer Aspire V5-431-4405 UltraThin 14" Laptop, Pentium Dual-Core, 4GB DDR3, 500GB, Win8 $279.99

Dave

Oh yeah, the price is good. I would make a good first laptop for someone of lesser means, or a good backup unit for others.

Pentium Dual-Core... how retro :)

Yea but this isn't your grandfathers Pentium Dual-Core!!   

The 987 was just launched in Q3 of last year!!  My notebook was recently stolen and if I had the means I would get one of these.  Good eye OP!!

I haven't kept up with Intel CPUs for a number of years. Do you feel there is really that much difference between last year's Pentium Dual Core and the one from 7+ years ago?

Ikon, are you kidding?  I remember the 1st "Pentium D" 820 I had and if you were to put that in a notebook that thin I would think it would melt the screen to the keyboard after sucking the battery dry in about 20-30 seconds :)  

Main thing that comes to mind is the die size being shrunk to 33.3% of the original!! 

I really can't understand why Intel reused the Pentium name on later/newer Gen chips.  When I hear Pentium I still associate it with FIVE (586) from when the Pentium name was first introduced as a result of the trademark battle between Intel & other chip makers.  It seems the Pentium name went away for quite a few years but I am not 100% sure of that.  

Happy memory for me though is the Pentium Pro.  I had a pair of them that rocked all the way into the P3 days and beyond.  Ohh no, I think I just about had a "good ol days" moment!! :)