RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

Why even buy a NAS?

KydDynoMyte

ikon,

I have the same problem with my android phone, it starts slowing down when I try to run all the apps in the app store at the same time. :)

ikon

LOL. K. But, if you read closely, I said I couldn't run as many apps as I wanted. Let me flesh that out a bit by saying I wasn't trying to run all that many (certainly no where near all the apps in the store). If I enabled more than 2 or 3 apps, things started getting dodgy. I can certainly sympathise with arguments that say "you're trying to run too much", but I wasn't. I only wanted a subset of the features, and it couldn't handle it.

KydDynoMyte

Yeah, I am suprised how well my little NAS does running a few things on it. When I upgrade my bottleneck of an internet connection I might not be so happy with my little NAS.

fonix232

I said crippled because I misread your post, woops. When you said "DDNS Service , and so on" I just thought no access to all the add ons. My fault, my reading comprehention could be better. Reading your post again, slower this time, I don't see much downside to it now. A while back I saved some money and went with a ReadyNAS with better specs instead of Synology because I knew I could get the services I wanted on there like you're talking about. Couldn't be happier with it. But today it'd be hard to consider anything but putting DSM on a microserver if I wanted another NAS.

Yes, you lose the services offered by Synology directly, such as their own DDNS (it is linked to the serial number of the device, all XPenology install uses a nulled serial, though some people tend to change it manually, like me, so I can make it work).

You said Synology did not stop the loading their OS on different hardware, but you say you loose access to updates(I assume updates of the OS). I was trying to understand if newer versions of their OS are able to be ported over also.

Updates, in the sense of automatic updates. After a time of course they will be made available, with the new kernel, modified/patched files, bootloader, etc., but it will still not be the same as the original. For example, software controlled WoL (that would reside in BIOS in case of an actual Synology device) is out of question, some features tend not to work, but we got most of them to run. Also hardware support is patchy at best, as the Synology kernel is made in a way that it only includes minimal support, to keep image sizes down.

I disagree. The very statement 'underpowered' says that they're not up to the task. I have a Syno box, which I don't use any more. The biggest problem I had with it is that it was simply too slow if I tried to enable too many of the features. A properly powered box would handle any and all of the features DSM provides -- mine could not. I had to pick and choose which features were most important to me, and there was no way I could enable as many as I wanted.

This is the reason why Synology limited the number of applications based on your device gear (usually based on the number of hard drive slots, and the board type). The weaker, ARM based devices can run the basic features, and one-two extra apps, but that's it. It was designed for simple home usage, where you mount a volume via SAMBA, transfer files, watch movies, etc., and that is why it is so weak. The more expensive ones, with more juice, can even compile their own kernel in a relatively short time, but those are REALLY expensive.

Exactly; which is why I think WHS2011 makes a good 'NAS'. It can easily act as a dedicated file server, if that's what you want, but it can also do all kinds of other things, if you want it to. This is why I don't believe the Syno boxes are a great value -- the boxes are too pricey for what you get IMHO.

I do not agree. WHS2011 is anything but good for simple home solutions, something that the lower-end of Synology devices target. For one, it is an extra expense after the hardware, for two, it needs 2x-3x the time and care (and hardware) than a DSM based device to work properly. Just a comparison, my P4-based server, that initially had 512MB RAM (minus 32MB for the video card) could run the following via Synology:

- the OS

- Samba and NFS shares

- firewall

- most of the Synology branded apps (VPN server, RADIUS server, LDAP server, Mail server, DNS and DHCP servers)

- some extra apps (Transmission, Couchpotato, Sickbeard, and the required Python and Perl stuff)

- Plex with DLNA (it wasn't the best, thanks to the crappy video card, but for audio streaming, perfect)

- Web server of DSM, with separate folders for all users, each of them running a wordpress with separate database, and also, MySQL, qith phpMyAdmin

I do not now what else would you like from it, that makes it so heavy on the hardware, but I can say I was quite happy with all these stuff running. Plex made it run hot and noisy at night, so it was usually disabled between midnight and 6AM, otherwise everything worked fine.

Edited by fonix232
  • Like 2

KydDynoMyte

Thanks for the info, thumbed up and repped :) I already knew or guessed correctly on most of the info but you filled in the gaps nicely.