RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

Why even buy a NAS?

Pancakes

That powerful NAS is practically a PC. NAS should be redefined to Network Attached Server with all we have these NASii do these days. They do a lot more than share files. A lot of small businesses are finding out they can get by a lot cheaper with a NAS than maintaining a full blown server.

Then they grow and realise they wasted the money on the NAS as they need a server anyway

ikon

I think true NAS devices still exist; you know, the big boxes that enterprises buy for mass storage, and they don't have all the bells and whistles these consumer devices have.

KydDynoMyte

Then they grow and realise they wasted the money on the NAS as they need a server anyway

It could take years to grow to where you "need" a server and then you got old server hardware. Not to mention all the cost in needed to admin a server and the licensing. Just about anyone can admin a nas and you can leave it sit and let it do its thing. The way it's looking everything is going to be cloud based before long anyway and all we need is a dumb temrinal. Deja vu.

ikon

I think you're way premature on the cloud-based prediction. The majority of people in the world have bandwidth caps, and service that's too slow. Even in the USA, ISPs are actually introducing or re-introducing bandwidth caps in a number of places. Also, no way am I putting my personal info in the cloud. No doubt, a limited amount of my info is out there in some places, but I'm not going to exacerbate the situation by just throwing it out there.

As far as administration goes, I find WHS2011 is as easy to administer as my Synology box ever was.

Just my 2 cents...

KydDynoMyte

I meant years, but not being too serious about it. Don't make me have to start thinking/considering globally too. But I think if Google gets their way or MS keeps tryting to match Google's services we'll all be cloud based a lot faster. I'm not saying that's a good way to go, but I do love the heck out of my chromebooks. I put a WHS11 into production at my work (because I agree it is so easy to admin) but I don't think that is the norm. I assume when pancakes says a busniess needs a server he means with something more than WHS11 on it.

keep the change… :)

ikon

Yeah, I'm not sure what he means by 'business'. I have installed WHS2011 in a few small businesses, and they work beautifully for that. The last one I did only has 3 computers that really need to be backed up, but there are a couple of back room computers that I added to the backup just 'cause there was no real reason not to.

fonix232

In my experience, buying a ready-to-use NAS such as Synology boxes is usually  a better choice for those who do not wish to fiddle with it, and want a simple media server for home, in a Jobsian way - so that "it just works". 

I for one use Synology on a custom built rig - you can hardly call this monstrosity a server, I'd say. It was mostly free (neighbour had some old stuff he wanted to get rid of, took over most of the IT crap. That includes an old Socket-775 mobo with fortunately 4 SATA headers, and interestingly, 4 DDR2 sockets, a P4 64bit CPU, some minimal graphics card made by ATI/MSI (just so the motherboard won't freak out because of the missing graphics), 3 gigs of RAM, and an extra 10/100 NIC. Also 2x1TB and 2x500GB SATA2 drives, though apart from one of the 1TB drives, everything comes from electronics trash), works quite nice with basic things like SAMBA, RADIUS with LDAP, Transmission set up with CouchPotato, SickBeard, and some other small stuff.

But then, I am a power user, and I enjoy fiddling with the things. It is just that I need something that works and I don't have to bother with it. And such, I got an N54L, gonna install Synology (or OMV), set it up once and leave it be.

KydDynoMyte

.. I got an N54L, gonna install Synology (or OMV), set it up once and leave it be.

Putting DSM on an N54L does seem a good way to go compared to the cost of any of the Synology boxes with more than one drive in it. Just saw a 2bay Synology posted in the deals section for more than a N54L goes for. What is the advantage? Did Synology do anything to prevent newer versions of DSM from being loaded on non Synology hardware?

ikon

I've wondered the same thing. Is Synology upset about this 'trick' that allows its OS to be installed on home brew systems, or are they supportive? I have to admit, when I first read about it, it sounded as though Synology was actually supportive, but what I've heard since then seems to counter that.

I haven't found that there is any advantage to Synology hardware. I found it overpriced and underpowered. The OS is nice; it would be good if they would sell it for a reasonable price as a standalone item. I suspect they would actually make more money.

KydDynoMyte

I've always heard synology owners say(defensively) "you're paying for the software". I would imagine Synology would not be supportive of this 'trick'. You are probably right about selling the OS, but it might come with compatability headaches with different hardware?