RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

Why even buy a NAS?

Pancakes

I thought It would be a really good joke :(

ikon

Let's face it; the pancakes are much more appealing :D

KydDynoMyte

A cheap little NAS is pretty fun to play with when you bypass the default software and you got a nifty little ARM linux server to play with.

Pancakes

A cheap little NAS is pretty fun to play with when you bypass the default software and you got a nifty little ARM linux server to play with.

But then you can just get a Microserver and do what you want, and if its something MUCH cheaper than a Microserver the specs are going to be useless anyway 

KydDynoMyte

If you want to mess with developing ARM stuff it's good. The specs seem low, but it runs a lot of things just fine. It's smaller than a microserver.

KydDynoMyte

I must have a sickness for these little arm based nas devices. I just got couple segate goflex home 2tb for $39.93 ea. at Office Depot. I always wanted one to throw linux on the base and I'm going to crack open the other for a 2tb WHS11 backup drive. The 3tb is suppose to be on clearance for $45 but didn't show any stock around here.

FiLiNuX

WHAT!!!

40 bucks for a 2TB drive??  3TB for 45??  Did you post this to the deals section?  Online or B&M?  

hmmmm, food or drives, food or drives...

KydDynoMyte

B&M and I was going to post but it is on slickdeals so they are most likely already all gone by now.

you can check inventory in your area though. replace the xxxxx at the end with your zip code.:

2TB

http://www.officedepot.com/ajaxhtml/storeAvailability.do?skuId=695094&zipCode=xxxxx

3TB

http://www.officedepot.com/ajaxhtml/storeAvailability.do?skuId=949713&zipCode=xxxxx

Edited by KydDynoMyte

timekills

I have a 6 drive ReadyNAS Pro I bought for ESXi storage and other files. It is self contained and much easier to transport than my server with RAID 6 installed. The benefits of this device is it also runs my Plex server (so it does transcoding when needed) as well as automatically searching out and downloading the latest episode of about 30 television shows I download. And even occasionally watch ;-) This its done via a combination of Sickbeard to archive, catalog, and download the latest NZB files for the TV show (all automatically) which it then passes to SabNZBD to download. Once completed with the download it automatically moves the show to my TV folder, renames it, and updates Plex.

All done automatically from my NAS. No PC needed.

Plus it has built in channel bonding for the two Gigabit NICs, and can RAID drives of differing sizes. Uses a dual core Intel chip and currently 2 GB of RAM.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk HD

KydDynoMyte

All done automatically from my NAS. No PC needed.

That powerful NAS is practically a PC. NAS should be redefined to Network Attached Server with all we have these NASii do these days. They do a lot more than share files. A lot of small businesses are finding out they can get by a lot cheaper with a NAS than maintaining a full blown server.