RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

Why even buy a NAS?

Pancakes

I was looking at a 2 Bay NAS just to keep backups on, and they cost the same or MORE than a Microserver

Why do you guys even buy NAS's?

jmwills

As part of a 3-2-1 backup solution.  This is the "2" in the second type of media.  More than a Microserver?  You can get a Synology DS212 (?) for about $175.

schoondoggy

Many users prefer NAS OS, Synology, QNAP, over Windows server or Linux.

Plus the cost of the OS is already in NAS price.

Jmwills is correct, there are at least 3 Synology two drive NAS systems under $200.

Just add drives and you are ready to go.

awraynor

I understand Pancakes statements. A small Synology is reasonable, but past 2 drives it

gets prohibitively expensive for a home user. The multiple drive scenario is where WHS really excels.

ikon

I, too, understand pancakes sentiment. I have a Synology 4-drive unit that I haven't used in 2 - 3 years now. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

jmwills

You can send it to me, and I'll test it out for a couple of years.

Pancakes

Well hold on guys. I made the thread, so I get the NAS...

jmwills

By your own admission, you don't need it, so move on...there's nothing to see here.  :lol:

KydDynoMyte

I have a little ReadyNAS DuoV2 that runs Sab, Sick, Couch, Heapphones, & ZNC just fine and I stream from it. If you don't need more than 2 drives and you just want it for backups as you say, the cheaper nasii will probably do fine. I did have to manually install Headphone and ZNC because there were not add-ins at the time, but if you are only using add-ins it is very easy to maintain.

It becomes a lot cheaper when you monitor and wait for a good deal to come along.

Edited by KydDynoMyte

ikon

Trust me guys, you don't want it. It's a CS407e, and its main issues are the CPU and RAM: too little of each. There's just no way to upgrade it. If I wanted to use Syno these days, I would probably install the software on my own hardware.