RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

"Skydrive one install is all you need"? -Dropbox

Shoop

hey everyone,

I followed this article http://homeservershow.com/skydrive-on-whs-2011-one-install-is-all-you-need.html written by pcdoc and have it running perfectly on my whs 2011 thanks to pcdoc for his instructions. The only difference is instead of Skydrive I used Dropbox.

I am trying to get this working on my windows server  essentials 2012 r2 and have had no success. 

Everything is installed and the task scheduler is set and the dropbox program is installed.  When I reboot the server and let it set at the log in screen nothing happens.  When I log in under an administrator, instead of starting the program it wants to setup the  program again (basically i have to tell it I have an account and login and then it starts up).  I thought I might have set the wrong path for the .exe in the task scheduler but it matches the same path as the shortcut the dropbox put on the desktop.

Dropbox  will not even stay running even if i log in start it and log back out.

Anyone have this problem or might know what I'm doing wrong?

There are several things that are not working right in these R2 pre-release versions.  Double check your work and if if still doesn't work drop a note to MS.

Look in the Services Applet and see what account it is scheduled to start under (Log On As) and change it to the account needed.

Will do.  I couldn't get it to work under Windows server 2012 rtm either.  That's why I thought it was my error.

With this being a server, a Firewall rule may need to be created.  Try turning off the firewall (temporarily) and see if that helps.

I will do more checking as I am able to load the program and it appears to work.  Still playing with the share aspect and to see if I can get it to be common lactation as that seems to be a bit flakey.  Will post an update soon as I think I can get it to work.

Ok, I tried disabling firewall and that didn't work.  For some reason when i log into the server it keeps wanting to go through the Dropbox setup again.  I have to log in and then apply previous settings and it starts up.  If I log back out it closes dropbox.  Had this problem on server 2012 rtm.

pcdoc, every once in a while you just break me up completely: "common lactation"??? Does that mean you're trying to milk it for all it's worth?  :D

pcdoc, every once in a while you just break me up completely: "common lactation"??? Does that mean you're trying to milk it for all it's worth?  :D

By product of typing to fast and not paying attention.  Pretty funny and good catch...

I fixed the problem.  I just dumped Dropbox and went with Skydrive. I spent more time then I wanted to trying to get dropbox working.  In the end the extra space through Skydrive will be cheaper and it integrates into WSE 2012 r2 nicely.