RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ASUS WebStorage

mysticgeek

So after listening to the podcast 86 I decided to try out the ASUS WebStorage Addin for WHS with the free 1GB account.
I'm not really sure how I feel about it. You can backup your folder shares, but can't go in and pick individual files. It's the entire share or nothing... at least from what I can tell so far. Also, it seems to be selective in what it's backing up. I am not sure if that is due to the 1GB limit or what.
When you go to the site to retrieve your data, that seems to work pretty slick though.
$40/year for unlimited storage though is really incredible and exactly what I've been looking for in a WHS backup app. It seems similar to a Carbonite or Mozy for WHS if that existed.
Anyway, these are just my initial thoughts on it. Has anyone else tried it out yet? What do you think of it if you have? Thanks guys!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• awraynor

• mysticgeek

• JohnnyT

I also wonder how this compares. I haven't tried it, but this price is almost too good to be true.

In their video, the software shows a 500 GB pool, is that your impression of the total allowed? It's a lot of storage for $40, but is that the limit vs. unlimited? When I went to their FAQ section I received all errors when I tried to view the page. I hope their service is better than their grammar and page design skills.

Yeah you can download individual files that are in the backed up shares. So far it's rather slow as well. Slower than Carbonite. I have been backing up for 3 days now and still haven't filled up my 1GB yet.

Their site has a lot to be desired as well. They don't explain things very well. I dunno... but for $40.. maybe worth the investment... can't go wrong with the price.

Downloading files from the site is easy and quick though. Perhaps there is better performance with a paid account? I would love to hear from someone who has a subscription.

I do worry about "getting what you pay for". The site is somewhat poorly done, grammar incorrect, quite surprising for a big company like ASUS. It's an almost too good to be true price, think I will wait and see before I trust my data to them. If they can't design a website, can they securely manage my personal data?

Well an even bigger issue showed up as I was playing with the plugin. Chrome and Firefox gave me security certificate errors as I tried to login my asuswebstorage web space. Did anyone else get this error and does it concern them?

The installation of the add-in was drop dead simple, just like any well designed add-in. I have seen other promotional offers with this type of service where if you buy in at the beginning you get a great deal, but then down the road the costs go up and the limits go down. So.. I bought in for 2 years. It is really unlimited as they say. They allocate 1000GB to you to start, which makes their usage graphs work and such. Then once you reach the 1000GB they increase it by another 1000GB.

I agree that the site is not designed well, which would make most people hesitate, but the service behind it seems to function fine. I also think the service is particularly slow, I know I don't have a lot of upload bandwidth, so it will take some time, but I think it should be going faster than it is. So far it's only uploaded my music files which are all reasonably small. I'm waiting to see how it works on large video files. One of the things I'm discouraged by is that it only backups your shared folders (you can select which ones). It does not back up my machine backups. That being said, if I have content on one of my machines, which is backed up each night to my home server, I am still not getting that content backed up to an off-site location. I can still backup each of my machines to the service (max 3 the FAQ says) by installing the Asus client on each of my PCs, but that defeats the Homeserver backups, which I like better as I can do a full system recovery with those backups when needed.

@gruz: I am on DSL and don't have the best upload speed either, so I am thinking that might be something to do with the slowness as well.
I finally have my 1GB of data uploaded and when you log into your account it seems to be organized fairly well. Getting data back is no problem as I mentioned before.
I am not a fan of it only backing up your shares...not to mention you back up a full share folder or nothing at all.
Yeah I am really not sure if I can pull the trigger on this one or not...

I'm kind of on the fence still. The service is managed by a third party vendor, a not quite professional interface, but a great price. If I did backup to them, it wouldn't be any sensitive files with say, my social security number or financial information.