RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Untangle router - talk to me

Here is what I used and have been very happy.  Not sure I would go with the SSD again but all is well.

http://thedocsworld.net/untangle-router-rebuild/

pcdoc - I noticed your UT router rebuild was done in 2012 but this post was dated mid-2013.  If you were building this right now for pfsense or UT10, would you still go with that Sandy Bridge setup or Ivy Bridge?  I can find a G540 Celeron CPU still and a Gigabyte H61N motherboard, but figured I'd go with IB and not Haswell.  I ask because I have my eye on:

1.) Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1600 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI (has Realtek 8111E dual gigabit NICs)

2.) CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz LGA 1155 Processor BX80637G1610

3.) Case: Silverstone Tek SG05BB-450-USB3.0 ALL Black Plastic/SECC Mini-ITX Computer Case with SFX 450W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU with 2X USB3.0 Front Ports Cases (Black)

4.) RAM: Already have 8 GB of G-skill DDR3 RAM from an older build

5.) Intel NIC - am in need of a good dual-port Gigabit NIC card.

Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pancakes

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• keeplearnin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I'd put something different into the mix.   I personally use a Cisco 2621XM router to double as firewall. You could get one used off eBay for cheap. On my setup, it's configured to do Zone

pcdoc - I noticed your UT router rebuild was done in 2012 but this post was dated mid-2013.  If you were building this right now for pfsense or UT10, would you still go with that Sandy Bridge setup or Ivy Bridge?  I can find a G540 Celeron CPU still and a Gigabyte H61N motherboard, but figured I'd go with IB and not Haswell.  I ask because I have my eye on:

1.) Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1600 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI (has Realtek 8111E dual gigabit NICs)

2.) CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz LGA 1155 Processor BX80637G1610

3.) Case: Silverstone Tek SG05BB-450-USB3.0 ALL Black Plastic/SECC Mini-ITX Computer Case with SFX 450W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU with 2X USB3.0 Front Ports Cases (Black)

4.) RAM: Already have 8 GB of G-skill DDR3 RAM from an older build

5.) Intel NIC - am in need of a good dual-port Gigabit NIC card.

Thanks.

Your motherboard choice is fine and will certainly do the job or you go with a cheaper version and just add a single nic card.  Unless you are going pump about 20 people though it, the CPU you have selected is more than enough and probably will not go over 5% utilization.  Mine was actually rebuilt in 2013 and I actually now have two.  One I use and one configured as a backup (overkill I know but I had the hardware).  I also have the case you selected as well as the 300 version and both are excellent.  I ended up using the internal NIC for the wan connection and the Intel nic for the LAN.  I actually would not use a Haswell for UT for driver reasons.  IB/SB is well supported.

pcdoc, appreciate your response.  Since I've been using an old Supermicro D525 Intel Atom board and have been pushing a 50/5 Mbps connection through it with HAVP Antivirus, web filtering, QoS (particularly VOIP) and more -- I wanted a more capable hardware firewall.  I'll certainly keep my D525 system intact as a backup.

Also, I really just went with the Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI board because it was a socket 1155 board and the G1610 Ivy Bridge Celeron (55W TDW) is now available ($45-inexpensive) compared to the G540 a year ago.  I certainly don't expect Untangle 10 or pfsense 2.1 to support the WIFI chip but perhaps a future version will.  As you mentioned, I didn't expect Haswell to be supported anytime soon.

I know Intel Gigabit NICs are the preferred option, but the GA-H77N-WIFI board has dual Realtek 8111E ports.  In your experience are Intel NICs preferred for drive support reasons or do they perform better under higher utilization?  I was curious whether the 2-onboard Realtek NICs are fine for home environment 1-WAN and 1-LAN port.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I think at times I would like an Untangle box inline in my network but I don't know if I would throw my N54L at it or not.  Seems like a waste of a box and space for such a simple task.

Dave, did you end up using the n54L for this? How did it work?

I have found a rackmount server for a good price.

It has this board, with a P4 2.8 Ghz, 2GB RAM, and 3 NIC's.

http://www.supermicr...e7210/p4sci.cfm

I have a (very) small network with 2 PC's, n54L WHS 2011 server, 2 wireless AP's, 2 network printers, and a few mobile devices.

Will this box run the new Untangle v10 with web filtering?

Or....since I'm going to have to spend between $100-$200 for a small box to run a firewall, and I want a better server anyway....should I use the low power n54l as the firewall box and get something like a Dell T20 or Lenovo TS140?... Thoughts?

Thanks

schoondoggy

I like pc's like hp or dell pizza box. Hp dc5750 is running sophos now. You can find them on Craigslist cheap.

I like pc's like hp or dell pizza box. Hp dc5750 is running sophos now. You can find them on Craigslist cheap.

What do you consider "cheap"? I don't live by a big metro area, something like that would be at least $100 on my local CL's. I would rather get a certified refurb for that money.

Are you using web filter on the Sophos? I see some users have a lot of lag and increased ping times with this. That is what is making me think Untangle.