RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Untangle router - talk to me

Pancakes

Maybe one day when I get a rack, but for not that's a little big. It seems there is also lots of wasted space in there 

In defense of the Supermicro 1U it really isn't all that big, check out this video. 

As for the wasted space all that means is plenty of room to throw a bigger beefier motherboard in there when you move to a full on rack setup in the future and you can re-purpose the chassis (judging by your other posts in the forums you will be there in no time). Building out an untangle setup is tough because you don't want to "waste" hardware such as jmwillis was getting at with the N40L but at the same time you don't want the untangle build to be under powered and not able to handle all the traffic you want to throw at it. In the end, it is definitely worth it to over build your router rather than under build it. I mean isn't that why a majority of this community has gotten away from the BestBuy router purchase :)

I think at times I would like an Untangle box inline in my network but I don't know if I would throw my N54L at it or not.  Seems like a waste of a box and space for such a simple task.

Okay, I think I have decided on the specs after much research:

OEM Production 2550L2D-MxPC (Atom, Dual Broadcom's) 

4GB DDR3

32GB SSD

Ill use my Netgear N600 as an AP, or sell it and get just an access-point some day, and have that plugged into my switch. Now just to choose if I want Untangle or pfsense

Edited by Pancakes

Wow, that's one high-powered UT box: an SSD and 4GB of RAM? Yikes! Look out Internet, you're about to get pancaked.

re: the router. Just use your current one but ignore the routing parts: i.e. don't plug anything into the WAN port. Done and done.

Wow, that's one high-powered UT box: an SSD and 4GB of RAM? Yikes! Look out Internet, you're about to get pancaked.

re: the router. Just use your current one but ignore the routing parts: i.e. don't plug anything into the WAN port. Done and done.

The SSD would be because 32GB SSD's are cheap as chips (hah), 4GB RAM is have laying around

Okay, hardware.

What are you guys running?

My thoughts so far is that it will be either an Atom or a Ivy Bridge Celeron ITX board

RAM? How much is needed?

Hard Drive? Will a flash drive do?

NIC's? obviously 2 NIC's but is there any preference over brands?

Here is what I used and have been very happy.  Not sure I would go with the SSD again but all is well.

http://thedocsworld.net/untangle-router-rebuild/

In defense of the Supermicro 1U it really isn't all that big, check out this video. 

As for the wasted space all that means is plenty of room to throw a bigger beefier motherboard in there when you move to a full on rack setup in the future and you can re-purpose the chassis (judging by your other posts in the forums you will be there in no time). Building out an untangle setup is tough because you don't want to "waste" hardware such as jmwillis was getting at with the N40L but at the same time you don't want the untangle build to be under powered and not able to handle all the traffic you want to throw at it. In the end, it is definitely worth it to over build your router rather than under build it. I mean isn't that why a majority of this community has gotten away from the BestBuy router purchase :)

I am using the same unit with an old sata 2 ssd and pfsense....  then i added a riser with a dual nic that is running on a different subnet for my old wndr3700 router to connect to my NEST and Wi-Fi scale as they don't like going thru pfsense...... and love it