RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Untangle router - talk to me

Pancakes

Pancakes,

Sounds like your on the right track and in good hands with the suggestions from up above. I would say go as low power and efficient as you can for something that will be running 24/7. However, what are your thoughts on how you are going to do wireless? If you go with Untangle or even pFsense you will either need an access point or an old wireless router configured as an access point. With that said, this will give you the option to just plug into one of your switch ports on your lan with the AP or if you do go with a bigger router box that has more than two nics you can plug in and run the AP right off of the router. I will be curious to see what route you go with choosing your router hardware, keep us posted.

By the way that Newegg OEM boxed you linked up above looks like a cool box!

Pancakes,

Sounds like your on the right track and in good hands with the suggestions from up above. I would say go as low power and efficient as you can for something that will be running 24/7. However, what are your thoughts on how you are going to do wireless? If you go with Untangle or even pFsense you will either need an access point or an old wireless router configured as an access point. With that said, this will give you the option to just plug into one of your switch ports on your lan with the AP or if you do go with a bigger router box that has more than two nics you can plug in and run the AP right off of the router. I will be curious to see what route you go with choosing your router hardware, keep us posted.

By the way that Newegg OEM boxed you linked up above looks like a cool box!

The only thing I don't like with the Newegg is the ITX case, it looks cheap. And I cant seem to find any suitable quality cases :/

Ill probably just use my router as an access-point, I'm not a huge wireless user anyway

I hear ya, I am running one of these for my inline Untangle box http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-H.cfm?typ=H keep an eye on these Atom based 1U's on ebay if you can work with the form factor. I fortunately was able to pick one up used for less then a $100 last summer on eBay. The hardware has been rock solid since I put it into production last year.

Maybe one day when I get a rack, but for not that's a little big. It seems there is also lots of wasted space in there 

My UT box has a Intel P4 2.8GHZ, 2GB of RAM, a 2GB HDD, a Realtek onboard NIC, and an add-on Intel PCIe NIC. It was made of parts I had laying around. The 2GB HDD is quite a bit larger than need be but, what the heck, I already had it. I am glad I have 2GB of RAM in it. I haven't really checked much, but I've heard that UT does like plenty of RAM. I assume this is, at least in part, because UT has a GUI.

In any case, I have been very happy with UT. The default free spam email filter does a pretty good job of blocking bad email. Plenty still gets through, but it blocks the worst of it. One of the best things is that it's a Linux product that's easy to install, configure, and maintain. In fact, it doesn't need much maintenance. And it has what I think is one of Linux's best attributes; stability. My UT runs for months on end without me even looking at it.

I just didn't see a benefit to it.  Performance was okay I just wanted something with a little more granularity.