RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using Anywhere access to get to other resources on my network?

Pancakes

If anywhere access can already RDP to other PC's on the network, and access files, is there anyway to get it to forward to other things?

Like could i configure it to be xxx.remotewebaccess.com/PLEX  and then have that forward to my Plex address/port? 

and then I could also have xxx.remotewebaccess.com/TORRENT and have that facing the web interface of my torrent client

This would eliminate the need for me to forward 100000 different ports to different PC's and lose them when I get new a router 

No idea. Why not give it a try and report back?

If I could find any sort of configuration page for this I would, but I wouldn't even know where to start as there are pretty much no options relating to this that I can see 

If anywhere access can already RDP to other PC's on the network, and access files, is there anyway to get it to forward to other things?

Like could i configure it to be xxx.remotewebaccess.com/PLEX  and then have that forward to my Plex address/port? 

and then I could also have xxx.remotewebaccess.com/TORRENT and have that facing the web interface of my torrent client

This would eliminate the need for me to forward 100000 different ports to different PC's and lose them when I get new a router 

Oh Lord.....we've created a monster!  IT'S ALIVE !!!!!!     I would be careful about opening up too many ports especially those well known port numbers

I think I misunderstood. I read your question as "how can I forward to my Plex web page?". On re-reading it seems that you want to know if you can redirect to your Plex application. Do I have it now?

Now, if you have a Plex server at a different IP and port, I'm not sure you can redirect to it.

There is a redirect command in HTTP that allows you to redirect to another subdirectory under the main web server path, but I'm not aware that it can redirect to a different IP. It might be possible using a forward command but, AFAIK, it has to be to a web page.

This is really a question for an HTTP expert, which I most definitely am not.

I think I misunderstood. I read your question as "how can I forward to my Plex web page?". On re-reading it seems that you want to know if you can redirect to your Plex application. Do I have it now?

Now, if you have a Plex server at a different IP and port, I'm not sure you can redirect to it.

There is a redirect command in HTTP that allows you to redirect to another subdirectory under the main web server path, but I'm not aware that it can redirect to a different IP. It might be possible using a forward command but, AFAIK, it has to be to a web page.

This is really a question for an HTTP expert, which I most definitely am not.

Its the same IP, and the port is the default 32400

If I want to access my Plex dashboard from outside the IP, I have to forward it through the router that will probably change at some point, however the server will stay no matter what, and is easier to backup

I want to be able to type  xxx.remotewebaccess.com/PLEX   and then the server connects me to the local network IP and port and then just forward the connection across to me 

If it can do it for RDP, and for files on the network I don't see any reason it isnt capable of doing it, but whether its actually possible to configure is another thing 

So for example:

xxx.remotewebaccess.com/PLEX would forward to 192.168.0.24:32400

xxx.remotewebaccess.com/TORRENT might forward to 192.168.0.67:8080

And that would be configured in the server, and not the router 

Edited by Pancakes

I believe you would have to have a local DNS server that would know how to resolve an IP address over to "Plex".  WHS 2011 wouldn't know how to do this but WS 2102 Essentials with it's DNS capabilities would know how to.

Why not just append the address of  xxx.remotewebaccess.com/PLEX to  xxx.remotewebaccess.com:portnumber  ??

I believe you would have to have a local DNS server that would know how to resolve an IP address over to "Plex".  WHS 2011 wouldn't know how to do this but WS 2102 Essentials with it's DNS capabilities would know how to.

Why not just append the address of  xxx.remotewebaccess.com/PLEX to  xxx.remotewebaccess.com:portnumber  ??

I don't think remotewebaccess works like that, I tried and it just gives me a 404. 

And if I setup a local DNS server, would it even be able to utilize the remotewebaccess addresses? 

As long as you forward ports to the correct IP addresses, you can setup as many home servers on your local LAN and access them all by appending the DNS name with the port number.  I currently have three running and can access them all remotely.