RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you backup too much?

awraynor

My local backup and sync schema is quite and likely too redundant? It involves 2 WHS servers, Humyo, SyncBack, CrashPlan, NomaDesk and Dropbox to begin with. Not all files go through all of these services, but some are accessed by 3 of them. Am I at risk for corrupting my data, or is just the metadata appended?

Not sure howe you have this setup but it does seem a bit of an overkill. I do not think that will corrupt data, the possibility exists that you could overwrite some stuff if it is not set up correctly. I would definetly think about streamlining.

My schema involves a 3 step process. The local files residing on the client, local backup on the WHS and online backup. I use Dropbox for the core files which I want on all of my computers. Picasa for my photos as I love it's software and it's simple sharing methods. I am testing Humyo vs. Nomadesk at the moment for the files I don't want to lose, but don't need immediately. This all supplemented by CrashPlan Central and Backup to the external HD.

I am trying to use no more than 2 syncing services per file type, and have had good luck so far. At the moment At the moment I am trying Oops Backup which is a Time Machine like software. It is fast, graphically appealing and "original". I know it's overkill, but after nearly losing my wedding and honeymoon pics I am being very cautious. I love, but don't depend entirely on WHS.

Vail looks to finally solve all our back up problems. Scheduled backup of everything including the OS! You can never be too paranoid with backups.

• 1 month later...

<p>My schema involves a 3 step process. The local files residing on the client, local backup on the WHS and online backup. I use Dropbox for the core files which I want on all of my computers. Picasa for my photos as I love it's software and it's simple sharing methods. I am testing Humyo vs. Nomadesk at the moment for the files I don't want to lose, but don't need immediately. This all supplemented by CrashPlan Central and Backup to the external HD. </p><p>I am trying to use no more than 2 syncing services per file type, and have had good luck so far. At the moment At the moment I am trying Oops Backup which is a Time Machine like software. It is fast, graphically appealing and "original". I know it's overkill, but after nearly losing my wedding and honeymoon pics I am being very cautious. I love, but don't depend entirely on WHS.</p>

1) yes, there is such a thing as too much backup, but you're so far from it I wouldn't worry about it :D

2) the one serious comment I have is that I think your setup is too complicated; it must be a nightmare to manage. For backup, I stick to a local copy, a copy on WHS, and a single copy offsite. BTW, I consider Picasa to be a photo sharing service rather than a backup service. I feel you should be able to retrieve any of your backed up files from the same service/location. If you want to be super cautious, you could use an external HD in addition to the local, WHS, & offsite copies; something like an IOsafe should work well.