RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB Booting trouble

Pancakes

I have 2 x 1TB plugged into my microserver for extra storage until my internal drives arrive. If i reboot the server it gets "stuck" on the USB drives, this means if i re-boot it remotely, i cant get it back up.

Before I lug this out of its space, and plug it in:

1. Any way to edit the BIOS over LAN?

2. Is this a known problem?

I don't want to drag it out and find out there is nothing i can do

Edited by Pancakes

Is it trying to boot from the USB? If so, you can change it in the bios.. I found whenver you add/remove drives/USB, it muddles the order up. Should just have to set it once, then it will remember it (until your new drives arrive)

It's been a while since I set my one up but I do vaguely recall that mine had no means of changing the boot order in bios, and it had an annoying habit of always trying to boot from USB.

John

It's been a while since I set my one up but I do vaguely recall that mine had no means of changing the boot order in bios, and it had an annoying habit of always trying to boot from USB.

John

Yes you can change the boot order in the BIOS.

Okay I just took a look, and its weird.

You can change the boot order, but even if i remove USB from it, it still tries to boot to them. My only guess it that its listing them as hard drives, ill have to move the hard drives over too and then change the hard drive order

Yep, I don't even get why its trying to boot from them, it should see they are not bootable and move on

Stock or Modded BIOS?  If stock, try and update to most the most recent.  Was there anything on these drives before you put data on them?

What I'm getting at. is there a boot partition on there?