RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard drive questions

gse1986

I've got an N54L currently with the stock 250gb disk plus a 3TB ...pretty sure it's seagate, it was bought as was cheap and before I got the N54L.

It seems the WD drives would be a good way forward, I was considering getting two more 3TB drives to mean I could get ~6TB storage and use one drive for redundancy.

I'm using the server for media, ideally I would go for power saving over performance, as as long as it serves up movies without lag, that's enough for me at the moment.

Questions :

1) What are the benefits (not the sales ploys...) of a RED vs GREEN WD disk?  I notice it's about £12difference....is that £24 extra worth performance/power saving of getting red over green?

2) Will putting the red/green disks I get in RAID with my current 3TB disk through any issues/wipe out the benefit of getting a red/green disk?

Cheers,

For my server, I would get the Reds: they're designed for 24/7 RAID use. Just watch out for DOAs. A few people, including me, have had a Red that didn't work right out of the gate. In my case, I RMAd the drive and the replacement is working perfectly. The other Reds I've used have/are all good.

For my server, I would get the Reds: they're designed for 24/7 RAID use. Just watch out for DOAs. A few people, including me, have had a Red that didn't work right out of the gate. In my case, I RMAd the drive and the replacement is working perfectly. The other Reds I've used have/are all good.

OK cool, thanks. I've done a little more reading and seems red is the way to go - i was under the impression green was better on power, but seems red is better as well.

Would mixing two reds with a standard seagate disk in raid5 cause me any issues?

" i was under the impression green was better on power, but seems red is better as well."

You are correct that WD Green drives are marketed as power efficient drives while the Reds are for SoHo NAS use.  

"Would mixing two reds with a standard seagate disk in raid5 cause me any issues?"

I believe it would work for most different types of RAID but that is not to say there will not be issues.  A lot of people still believe you have to have exact matching drives with exact capacities to set up a RAID which is not true in most cases.  How old/used is the Seagate drive?  If it has a lot of hours on it you may be setting up your RAID with a weak link from the beginning.  Speed of the Seagate is another factor if it is less then the REDS.  I am not sure if any features of the RED drives  (NASware etc)would be lost by including a NON Red drive in the RAID. 

In a perfect world I would say wait and build the RAID 5 after getting a 3rd WD RED.  In the world of "I have no patience, have new hardware, and Im going to play with it" that I live in well...

I believe the Green & Red drives are very similar in power use. At one time years ago it truly was important to match drives in a RAID array. Today, with the large caches and buffering that's available, I don't think it's anywhere nearly as important.

"  How old/used is the Seagate drive?  If it has a lot of hours on it you may be setting up your RAID with a weak link from the beginning.  .

It's only a few months old, and not used very much. I think I may get two reds, and see if everything works as well as it did, should be fine, if there's issues, then order another. If the seagate fails, I can always order another and then rebuild the array 

I love my 3TB WD Reds but I would look hard at Segate's new NAS drives if I was buying today. I haven't looked into them much yet but what I've read they look good. I sotpped reading about them so I wouldn't feel so bad. I bought Green's then Reds come out the next week. I buy Reds then the new Segate 4TB Nas drives come out shortly after. Maybe someone else will chime in here about the Segates being terrible so I can feel better.

I don't think all Seagate drives are bad. The issue I've had is it's often hard to tell which ones are good and which are not. I've had a number of Seagates fail, but I've been told that those failures were of particular models that were known to have issues.

I also don't buy Green drives. It was relatively easy to identify which ones to avoid simply because of the green label -- no oddball model numbers to remember. There may actually be specific models of Green drives that are excellent, but it's just easier to avoid anything green. It's not like there aren't a ton of other choices. :)