RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

3TB Vs. 4TB Hard Drives

Pancakes

Is it worth going for 4TB Hard drives? or are they much less reliable than 3TB drives? I can get 3TB drives for around $90 OEM inc shipping.

I should be able to fit everything onto 5 x 3TB drives no problem, so is it worth spending another $90 on a drive to get 1TB extra per slot?

The cost is about a wash.  You're at 5 x $90 or $450 and I've seen 4TB for $150 or $600 total (4x$150).  You would need one less drive to equal the RAID 5 equivalent , plus you would be pulling 20% less power to drive the drives, and I have no idea how to calculate the reduction in heat.

I guess it depends on the case you are using.  I suspect by the end of the year you could see 4TB drives in the $125 range.  Just a guess.

Since its just Media on these drives (TV Shows/Movies etc) I don't care about RAID. It doesn't really give me any benefits other than speed, and for streaming media its not really a problem even at USB2 speeds

All my important data totals around 200GB, and I want to put that in Copy.com if i ever get enough storage through referals :P

I think I might just keep buying whatever works out best, I guess it doesn't matter if I have mismatched sizes

Is it worth going for 4TB Hard drives? or are they much less reliable than 3TB drives? I can get 3TB drives for around $90 OEM inc shipping.

I should be able to fit everything onto 5 x 3TB drives no problem, so is it worth spending another $90 on a drive to get 1TB extra per slot?

Hi

Just curious??

Where are you finding 3 TB OEM drives including shipping for $90 ??

Thanks

$90 for a 3TB drive is pretty cheap. What make/model are they?

Obviously, ATM, the 3TB will cheaper. We haven't yet reached the point where 3TB drives are in such small production runs that they're actually more expensive than larger drives. That said, the prices are getting closer and closer.

Yes, where are you finding 3TB drives for $90?  NewEgg has Toshiba 3TB drives on sale today for $109/