RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

help with whs2011 external drive letter assignment with backup programs?

People have a tendency to believe their off site backups are somehow more vulnerable than their data at home. Think about whether this is really true in your case. Are you leaving it in the hands of some 3rd party you don't really know, in a location where it's easily accessible to others, or is it more vulnerable in some other way.

I think many people will find that their off site data isn't actually more vulnerable than their data at home. For example, in my off site location, my data is kept in a locked room and there are security cameras and an alarm system. I don't have those things at home, so my off site data is actually more secure :)

So, if your off site data is at least as secure as that at home, perhaps unencrypted 'flat' files would be fine.

It is true that this technique does not give versioning. I've never considered that a particularly important feature, so it doesn't concern me.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• capall

• ikon

• jmwills

I also just found that cloudberry doesn't support rotating disks, but I suppose many backup or sync programs don't do so, specifically either. Would that be correct?

What was explained to me by cloudberry was that "f you back up to the same drive letter the system thinks it is the same disk and it will only copy new files there. so, in each drive you will have a different subset of files. It is not checking the target for exising files but relies on the internal repository. "

When using the USB toasters for rotating 2 drives, do you assign a drive letter to each physical drive, or one drive letter for the toaster itself?

As I believe you know, I use RoboCopy to back up files to my external enclosure. I have 2 sets of drives. Each set is 'pooled' using the JMicron software that came with the enclosures. Each 'pool' gets its own drive letter. That way, Windows understands which 'pool' it's mounting.

So, in your case, if you're rotating only 2 drives, I would use Disk Manager to give each drive its own drive letter.

Absolutely. The toaster doesn't get a drive letter -- it's not a drive. Put 1 drive in the toaster, assign it a letter, eject it, put in the other drive, assign it a different drive letter, eject it, reinstall the first drive -- it should show up in My Computer with the drive letter you assigned to it.

Thanks Ikon,

looks like the only way to do rotating drives with cloudberry is to set up each drive as a 'storage system', such that cloudberry makes each drive available to a backup plan. Then use a backup plan for each drive, and run each plan separately. However, you can't set set up both plans to run on a schedule as only one drive will be present at a time. And obviously for the drive that's present, you want the backup to run automatically on its schedule. So that leaves you having to run the backup plan for the drive that's present, manually, which defeats the 'set it and leave it, purpose.

my whole thought process on this was i wanted a backup solution that was officially supported by whs2011, did schedule backups for local and offsite rotating drives,  and preferable (but not necessarily) did both cloud and local storage

I guess that's the advantage of using a sync program with a script, where the sync program is just given a drive letter to backup to.

arrgh!

Yeah. The command lines I put into my backup CMD files look for both of the drive letters. Obviously, it can only find 1 of them, or none. If it finds 1, it backs up to it. If it doesn't find 1 at all, it writes a message to that effect in a log file.

read you backup script and saw that check for drive statement. Nice one.

and I suspect all backup / sync program will work the same, hence needing a script to run them on a schedule and do the drive check or resign your self to running manually from their interfaces to the current drive.

On a side note, I have a Thermaltake BlacX N0028USU dock that says it allows hot-pluging drives. When rotating drives in one of these do you need to use the whs service "remove the drive safely" if you want to remove the drive or will hot un-plugging work fine, assume you're not running  a backup obviously.

thanks

I always prefer to have the system tell me positively that "it's safe to remove the drive". I want something to tell me for sure that all the caches have been flushed, and all files have been closed.