RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

J21 on N54L mobo - Hot Swap HDD Activity LED indicator connection?

pandemonium

Hi all,

I'm setting up my first N54L and need some help... details below:

• 16GB Kingston RAM installed
  • Motherboard unlocked
  • USB with FreeNAS ready
  • 5 x 1Tb SATA drives ready
  • Startech hot-swap bay installed

I've not started anything up as yet (except modding the bios).

Whilst setting up the Startech hot-swap bay in the top 5.25" bay, I have a HDD Activity Indicator LED cable on the Startech hot-swap bay, which I believe I should connect to the motherboard. However, I don't see anything on the motherboard where I can connect it... except the connector (J21) circled in the attached picture.

Is this the correct connector? If not, what is J21 connector for?

Thank you in advance... much obliged for all answers.

Regards,

pandemonium

hp-n40l-mainboard.jpg

I checked the HP MircroServer Maintenance & Service Guide (pg 87) and it lists J21 as ;

"NMI jumper. Enables a user to generate a nonmaskable interrupt event."

I Hope this helps somewhat.  The Maintenance & Service guide is a good thing to have with a lot of great information. 

FiL

• Like 1

If J21 is an NMI connector, then it definitely is not what you want for the drive bay. It is very possible, one might say probable, that the mobo doesn't have a header where you can plug in the drive bay. It's not really surprising. HP never intended for people to install hard drives in the ODD bay, so they didn't provide a place to connect a drive activity LED.

• Like 1

Thank you FIL & iKon... very kind of you to take the time out to respond to my question - This does indeed confirm my suspicions.

I've now got it working on ZFS2 with the 5 bays working on FreeNAS. I'm seeing a couple of issues as below:

• Forwarding the port (default 22) for ssh access
  • Transfer speeds I've seen so far are typically only around 5-9Mbps write, copying 100-160Gb photographs. Not sure what these should really be, but I was expecting things a bit quicker. Again, this could be some strange setting on any/all of my iMac/router/microserver... so perhaps a different discussion topic... or am I allowed to discuss that here?

Forwarding from where, to where: the internet to your server? a client computer on your own LAN to your server? something else?

Where are you transferring to/from?

• Like 1

We really do need the information that Ikon requested to help address the SSH port forwarding question.  

When you say you have ZFS2 working do you mean RAIDZ2? (RAIDZ2 in ZFS is like a RAID 6).  Regardless I would expect you to get a better transfer speed then what you have posted even if its only reading at a single drive speed.  Are those speeds from the Imac to the FreeNAS Microserver?

I hate to answer your questions with questions but it will help us help you!

• Like 1

Yeah, I get better speeds than that onto a USB 2.0 External drive I have plugged in and shared...

Are you on Wireless?

Edited by Pancakes
  • Like 1

Apologies for my late response... and the incomplete information I provided earlier. I simply didn't know what information I needed to provide - I'm literally reading manuals and learning - following the letter of the law as best as I can understand (which obviously, isn't much!).

I've read a bit more since my last post and I now understand that :

• I need to setup dyndns to route access to my N54L - DONE
  • Ping my dyndns address to verify connectivity - DONE (successful pings)
  • I need to forward port 80 on my router for web access to the settings page of FreeNAS - DONE
  • I need to forward port 22 on my router for SSH access (I've been told that this isn't very secure and I should look into VPN). - DONE

I understand VPN is more secure, but I don't want to leave this road partially travelled. So, I really want to do this first before moving to VPN.

So, the setup I currently have is:

• Virgin Media home router (60mps line - I believe the router has 1gb ethernet ports)
  • HP N54L connected directly to the router (RAIDZ2 - 2 drive failure, 16gb recommended Kingston RAM, 16gb usb with FreeNAS)
  • iMac connected via ethernet (airport disabled)
  • MacBook Pro, MacBook Air & Dell laptops connected over wi-fi

The transfer speeds I get from/to the N54L:

• iMac via ethernet through the router - 60-80mbps approx
  • MacBookPro/Air/Dell via wifi (802.11n) - 3mbps

My requirements:
Ability to access data over the internet (eg. from work, from my dad's house)
Ability to change settings over the internet (eg. from work)
Setup the N54L to startup and shutdown at preset times

I'm happy to go and follow tutorials if you all can point me in the right direction, and then come back with more directed/specific trouble-shooting questions. The ones I've found so far aren't very informative.

I've found a few on YouTube which are quite helpful, but the ones I've seen so far don't go all the way to explain stuff or fulfil my requirements.

Lastly, thank you all once again for taking the time out to answer my questions and being patient with me. Its honestly very much appreciated.

Edited by pandemonium

The first thing I would recommend is to NOT use your router as your Ethernet switch. The switch circuitry in routers is not very good (there's a reason dedicated Ethernet switches cost as much, and usually more, than a router.

What I recommend is that you get a good Ethernet switch (Netgear ProSafe, DLink, Cisco, etc.) and put it at the heart of your LAN. Everything plugs into it: your router, server, client computers, printers, etc.). If it's set up as I'm describing, there will be only 1 Ethernet cable plugged into your router -- the one that connects it to the Ethernet switch.

• Like 1