RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need some input Regarding Essentials and WMC

gyrene2083

Hello All,

I have a question, that maybe you higher ups can shed some light or suggestions on. I know a lot of folks say why would you want to have WMC on the server, here is why.

I have the Ceton InfiniTV 6. Right now I have my Windows 7 HTPC with all 6 tuners attached to it. Works flawlessly, problem is I don't want it on all the time. That is why I have a server right?

So, I installed Essentials, (still waiting on some additional hardware to finish everything up) and it doesn't have WMC, doesn't have hyper V, has VM, but is it really worth all that trouble? What are your thoughts, and opinions. This 'Ole Grumpy Marine, is losing sleep over this....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• up7500

• gyrene2083

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's messy.

If you have a Windows Server 2012 license key, not an Essentials key, then you can install 2012 Essentials using the 2012 key. Then you should have the option to install Hyper V as a role. Then you can try installing Windows 7 with Media Center as a VM. Lots of work.

I'm a little puzzled as to what you mean by "doesn't have hyper V, has VM".

I don't think the option to install HyperV as a role is available in 2012 Essentials (unless you hack it by using as 2012 Standard key during install), only in R2 Essentials and with limitations.

yeah diehard. My puzzlement was that WSE2012 doesn't have Hyper-V, so how could it have VM. Aren't they really the same thing?

ikon, I'm sorry been up all night thinking about this....

Essentials doesn't have Hyper-V, but it has 1 VM

Standard does have Hyper-V and has 2 VMs.

(See this link for specs on 2012 versions)

It's just aggravating, Windows 8 has hyper-V, and 2012 which is a server doesn't have it. I read somewhere I could upgrade to Standard, and it would still have all the function of essentials and have hyper-V. Is all this even worth it I'm asking myself at this point. I really want my tuners to be on one box, and it should be a server not my HTPC...

The world as we know it now:

Server 2012 Essentials cannot host any sort of VMs

Server 2012 has the Hyper-V Role available

I think we are confused whenyou say, "Essentials doesn't have Hyper-V, but it has 1 VM"

Hey, no need to apologise. Now you have me intrigued. I haven't heard anything before about WSE2012 having a VM. I'm wondering how the heck it can have a VM without having Hyper-V to run it? More things to investigate... sigh.

Your absolutely right I'm confused now, because when I look at the table from the link I posted, I'm just lost at this point.

Specifications            Foundation         Essentials                                                             Standard     Datacenter

Virtualization rights      N/A                  Either in 1 VM or 1 physical server,                      2VMs           Unlimited

but not both at once                           

That is what is really messing me up.

That means you can run Essentials in 1 Virtual or Physical server.  It doesn contain the ability to host VM's.

I take that to mean you can run WSE2012 straight on the hardware, or in a VM on another Windows Server, but you can't run it on hardware AND in a VM.