jvbutter

android gets login screen, not laptop

jvbutter

hello all,

I have setup whs, and when inside my lan, I can use my laptop to "remote desktop" or use the "user interface" to log in. either way works for me. When I use my Android phone www connection (cell phone provided www access) to access my whs via the MS link, I get the login screen, I can log in as user and see the typical user options. However when I use my laptop from outside the LAN ( here at motel, or from my works www) I get the error message THIS PAGE CAN'T BE DISPLAYED. I have searched a few threads / sites and don't see any help.

thx for your help

ikon

On your router, have you forwarded the RDP port (default is 3389) to your server?

jvbutter

Not sure... I can check when I get back home. Can you explain that setting and how it effects the 2 different systems? I will also search.

ikon

I was going to explain what port forwarding is, but perhaps you know that already. If not, I'm happy to provide some info.

diehard

I'm just guessing here. I do know that the servers web interface is also written for mobile devices so maybe the plumbing is different and that's why you have different results.

ikon

jvbutter, I think we need a little clarification. Are you trying to use Remote Desktop Protocol to connect or are you using Remote Web Access? These are 2 different protocols and use different ports.

jvbutter

Yes.I know what port forwarding is. I

assume I have that part setup, because I can access via my droid phone and its Verizon www conntection. I'm on a trip now and cannot use the same web address I use on the phone https://jvbutter.homeserver.com on my laptop. I am not using remote desktop. From my understanding that and DASHBOARD interface only work when directly connected to the network.

jem101

For what is worth, the address doesn't work for me either on a PC or an IOS device.

The name resolves correctly and a port scan reveals that something is responding on 443. There is no response on 80 or 4125 which the Technet articles say need to be forwarded to the server for remote access to work fully. 

If you can gain remote access to the router to open these ports and forward them to the server then this would be the first thing I'd try.

John

ikon

OK, I can get to the login page from my Surface Pro (Win8). Perhaps you've already forwarded 80 & 4125??

AFAIK, DashBoard does only work when connected to the LAN. However, Remote Desktol Protocol can work from anywhere in the world. All that's required is to forward port 3389 on your router and give the permissions for RDP on the server. I use it all the time.

jvbutter

thx John, I have not setup remote access on my router, I should, but testing is tough. I will work on this when I get home tomorrow. If you get same results as I do, then its not my laptop. Just seems strange I can get in on android phone, but not computers... maybe droids and mobile devices work differently, well the must. I know our SharePoint server at work was not setup for mobile devices in the beginning. Now its turned on.

ikon, now that is weird... why your win8 will connect, and not my win7 machine... arrr.

Agreed on Dashboard. I will look at 3389 when I get home. I really should try tethering on my work phone to use as www connection to test my router at home. Its a Comcast router / modem all in one. Diff settings then my old D-link.

Edited by jvbutter