RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Server Setup WS2012e

rhyzome

I've installed the trial version of WS2012E on a 3 year old workstation from work.  I'm looking to setup a home server for backup and media hosting to my xbox 360 with WMC.   I'd also like to run Plex from the server.  I only have one W7 desktop though and a laptop that I don't store anything on.

I don't have any IT server experience.  I didn't read about the AD skip, so I set up an AD and migrated my user (although the local user still exists).  Everything is working fine, and the automatic backup is pretty sweet.  I had planned on using Storage Spaces with 2 3TB drives in a mirror.  ( I only have about 500 GB of storage now, but I've just started recording TV and movies to WMC)  I'm second guessing the choice for a full Windows Server machine though due to the AD concerns and the cost of purchasing a non-trial copy.  WS2012e works, but it feels like it might be more than I need.  

I'm thinking now about getting WHS 2011 and using something like drivepool, or possibly going back to W7 and just getting crashplan for local and remote backups.  

Can I get out of the AD easily or am I asking for trouble?  

I apologize if this is fairly vague, but I'm having trouble deciding and was looking for some feedback.  Thanks.

If you're not married to your Domain User Account, you could spend $50 to buy WHS2011, set it up, uninstall the WSE2012 Connector from your Client, install the WHS2011 Connector, and I think you should be able to use your original non-Domain User Account.

What ikon said is true with one extra step and that is you will have to go into the properties and manually move to the workgroup and change the name (removing the .local).  It sounds worse than it is and it is easy.  Based on your description, you will be fine with 2011 and you can use the native OS mirror if you want to.  You do not need any add ons for mirroring.  WHS 2011 is very stable and works great especially for what you want to do.

thanks pcdoc. I did forget to mention the workgroup part. That's what I like most about these forums; everyone chips in. :)

Thanks for the response  I think that's probably what  I'll do.

Is there any benefit to keeping an AD in a home server environment?  If the server crashes  I might not be able to log-in to my computers correct?

There are ways of using server 2012e without the domain joining of PCs and it is pointed out elsewhere in the forums that said if the server did crash the PC can still be logged into as it does cache the original login information if AD is offline (just like how laptop users log into laptops while travelling or at home)

Can I get out of the AD easily or am I asking for trouble?  

No trouble - just leave the domain.  You will not lose any of the automated backups functionality, and can tell your workstation to cache the credentials for a valid domain account so you can still access file shares on the server.

For reference, the way that the automated backup system works for authentication is digital certificates.  If you spend any time sniffing around a WHS2011 or WSE2012 server, you'll notice Certificate Services is installed, and there will be certificates issued to each of the computers you are backing up (including Mac OS devices).

The connector service installs on the clients and keeps a copy of the digital certificate (and private key).  This certificate is accepted by the WHS2011 or WSE2012 server for the purposes of automated backup connections.

Microsoft added Domain membership back in because WSE2012 is intended to serve both the home user and small business market.   Thankfully somebody at Microsoft had the balls to include an opt-out registry hack for domain membership, allowing clients to act exactly as they did in WHS2011 (minus the ability to configure HomeGroups on the server of course).

As a side note to this discussion, I'm working on an AD Group Policy file which will allow domain joined PCs to behave exactly as if they were not on the domain.   By default, when you join the WSE2012 domain, you lose a few ease-of-use things like the ability to use PIN logins and some other stuff.  When I'm happy with the policy I'll post it to the Internet and link it here.  Might take me a few weeks though, as I'm rather busy right now.

Edited by Kaldek