RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SiL3124 driver issues?

sl4ppy

So I foolishly (in hindsight) decided to upgrade my 25Tb WHSv1 server that has worked flawlessly for at least 4 years now to Server2012 Essentials.  

Installing and getting going was pretty straightforward; my issue seems to be with the SiL3124 (3.0Gb/s 4 port) card.  It worked without a hiccup in WHSv1, but it bluescreens my 2012SE installation every 1.5 hours or so...

I'm running DrivePool instead of Spaces for the flexibility.  It installed and boots up fine; only when do I start moving data to the drives in the pool (all attached via the 3124 card) 2012SE will bluescreen with either an DPC_WATCHDOG error or KERNEL error.

I've looked at the MEMORY.DMP file which clearly indicates driver issues.

Windows 8 Kernel Version 9200 MP (4 procs) Free x64

Product: LanManNt, suite: SmallBusiness TerminalServer SmallBusinessRestricted SingleUserTS
Built by: 9200.16628.amd64fre.win8_gdr.•••-•••-••••
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff803`eda19000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff803`edce5a20
Debug session time: Thu Jul 11 15:40:49.165 2013 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:23:46.828

<snip>

Probably caused by : Si3124r5.sys ( Si3124r5+cdc7 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Finished dump check

Drivers for this chipset was damn tricky when I originally set up the WHS system, I imagine they are just a complete cluster now for 2012SE.

Anyone had any luck with getting these drivers to work?  Perhaps share any tricks?

I do have a WHS2011 installation disc (benefits of being an ex MSFTie) and am maybe debating just re-installing to that; I just hate to freshly install recently killed products.. :(

-Desperate
Edited by sl4ppy

You would need a 2012 driver and I don't see one from Silicon Image, the manufacture of the chip.

Do you know who made your board? That is where I would start looking for drivers.

I see Syba made boards with that chip, but know 2012 driver;

http://sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=530

This is a fairly old design, there may not be a 2012 driver.

It's this card.. At least it appears to be.  Several manufacturers make identical cards in every way; Addonics, Rosewill, this one.  I don't recall which I purchased, but either way, none of them have Server 2012 drivers since SiL doesn't even have them for the chip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111069

I should note that 2012SE was perfectly happy to use the x64 drivers from SiL's website from 2010.  It only crashes sporadically and after a TON of moving files.

I'm perfectly open to another card if there is one known to work.  I need a 4 port eSata solution that does port multiplying...  I dont need Raid or anything else.

Here's the Rosewill card:

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1529/ProductDetail_Overview.htm

Here's the Addonics card:

http://www.addonics.com/products/adsa3gpx8-4e.php

Clearly none of these companies actually make the card. :)

I have 2 of these.  Each comes with a 2 port card that uses the SiL3132 (2 port) chipset/same drivers.  I only have 1 slot, thus the need for the 4-port card.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1189/ProductDetail_Overview.htm

Edited by sl4ppy

In the absence of proper 2012 drivers, in many cases Win8 drivers may work.  Both OS use the 6.2 kernel.

This is probably not the answer you are looking for but have you considered getting a more current card.  Since you are not using RAID (I assume) then you should be able to find a card that is supported.  I used my Highpoint in both raid and non raid configs with no issues in 2012.  Just a thought.

In the absence of proper 2012 drivers, in many cases Win8 drivers may work.  Both OS use the 6.2 kernel.

Sadly, there aren't Win8 drivers either. :/  SiL is shockingly terrible with support considering how much of the market uses their chips...

This is probably not the answer you are looking for but have you considered getting a more current card.  Since you are not using RAID (I assume) then you should be able to find a card that is supported.  I used my Highpoint in both raid and non raid configs with no issues in 2012.  Just a thought.

Can you point which card in particular?

Something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115122

Edited by sl4ppy

If you have to use eSata, than that would be a great choice.  You can check the Highpoint site and double check they support the server versions.  I have had great luck with all of mine.

If you have to use eSata, than that would be a great choice.  You can check the Highpoint site and double check they support the server versions.  I have had great luck with all of mine.

Great.. I ordered it yesterday ($90 on Amazon with Prime shipping + $6 for Sat delivery.  Still beats Newegg. Wewt!) so I'll report how it goes tomorrow.

Re: eSata.

Im not really aware of any options and am very open to suggestions.  I chose eSata because 8-bay enclosures were available and worked well in my previous experience.

I can't imagine loading 16 hard drives into a single tower case and run them all via SATA... Is that what most people do?  Just the difficulty in adding/removing drives, etc., seems cumbersome.

Edited by sl4ppy

Great.. I ordered it yesterday ($90 on Amazon with Prime shipping + $6 for Sat delivery.  Still beats Newegg. Wewt!) so I'll report how it goes tomorrow.

Re: eSata.

Im not really aware of any options and am very open to suggestions.  I chose eSata because 8-bay enclosures were available and worked well in my previous experience.

I can't imagine loading 16 hard drives into a single tower case and run them all via SATA... Is that what most people do?  Just the difficulty in adding/removing drives, etc., seems cumbersome.

Look forward to hearing about it.  I am have been tainted with a bad history with eSata (using MB eSata connectors).  I use internal when I can and USB 3 if I have to external.  But if you have had good luck with then stick with it.  There are always variables so as long as it works out you are good to go.  I am sure you will see some speed gains with the new card as well.  Keep us posted and good luck.