RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

DrivePop Cloud Backup $49.99 Lifetime for 1 PC

Staggerlee

Received update from support and my account was squared away last night. Pushing data from home server v1 up to the cloud now. Seems a little slow with a 5MB upload link but I still need to do a little tweaking.

Anyone try uploading the backup files that are created on the home server from workstation backups? In the event of a home server failure/rebuild, could I restore those files to a newly built homeserver to restore to workstations?

Jason

I've never managed to do a WS2012E OS install and restore the contents of the Client Backups folder from a backup and have it recognize historic client PC backups. Once a clean OS install occurs, you start over again on client PC backups. As a result, I exclude the Client Backups from my cloud backups.

timekills

Just an update on usage. Although I didn't really need to, I backed up some my ripped movies and music to the online storage. A neat feature on the Android is I can stream the MP3s and the MP4 videos from the DrivePop storage directly to my Android phone and tablet. Ony tried it at home via WLAN so not sure what the data rate is, and I'm assuming it can only play formats that the built-in video player supports. It plays directly in the music player or video player that is part of the Open Access app for Android.

I'll try other formats (MKV) later. But this is a neat bonus considering I only expected the ability to store and download, not stream.

Update: It works with MKVs as well! Interesting. It's definitely doing some sort of transcoding because the MKV starts out a little pixelated until the cache cathes up while the MP4s appear to be either a direct stream or at least clearer. Might be a factor of bandwidth.

Even better than WHS2011 as WHS doesn't natively support streaming of MKV (although you can make them work) and when you do, there is always an asect ratio problem. No issues with video and aspect ratio here, not to mention it isn't reliant upon my home's upstream bandwidth.

jsox

I ... Up speed and down speed are both decent - better than to my hosted web server.

I have my Livedrive bandwidth settings set at "unlimited" and it never seems to exceed ~340K upload. I thought it might be "connections" but when I doubled them from 1 to 2 nothing changed that I could see. Are there other settings that impact upload speed?

<added> The CPU is not loaded at all (<10%) so speed doesn't have anything to do with that.

jsox

I am testing DrivePop / LiveDrive on a machine that is not being used for anything else. The "backup these folders" settings  are pointed to a set of folders with static content. Pictures and family videos (some are AVI files up to 26G).

The software completed an initial backup but then it has been backing-up some files again, even after they were supposedly backed up already and there is no chance that they changed. With a 26G file that takes a while.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

timekills

I don't think I've seen it try and backup files again that hadn't changed, but I did notice when I was testing backing up a LOT of files (including some > 4GB) it had quite a few skipped files. I stopped the service and restarted it so it could do a dull rescan and that seemed to help. Might have resolved itself eventually.

Are you sure the 26GB file was completed? Did it maybe reserve the space but didn't finish the upload and now it is re-trying? Only way to check I can think of (unfortunately) is to download the file to see.

Jason

What is the destination server address or domain for DrivePop data? I thought I read somewhere it used livedrive over https. Am trying to configure it so pfsense queues traffic as low priority like I currently have CrashPlan. Drivepop currently getting sent to my default queue which has highest priority. Is making browsing slow.

jsox

Nothing I've done has raised the upload throughput above the low 300K number I noted previously. On the same network CrashPlan (different machine) used 2M when I told it that it could (I normally leave it at 1M max).

The DrivePop dashboard makes it clear that all my files have NOT uploaded yet. Drilling down into the structure many files still show that they are in an upload state and not fully there yet. I think this accounts for what I though was repeated uploads. It is really just coming back to files that were not completely uploaded yet and sending another chunk. Or so I hope at least.

Jason

Can anyone confirm the domain of the Drivepop backup servers?  I keep seeing an IP of 82.129.64.x as the cloud backup destination, but would like to bypass my router proxy for this traffic so it isn't cached.  For example are these servers *.drivepop.com or *.livedrive.com, etc.?

Dave

Good question.  They are going to be *.livedrive.* something of that sort.