RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

DrivePop Cloud Backup $49.99 Lifetime for 1 PC

jmwills

Has anyone tried backing up some folders in a Stablebit Drivepool?  I cannot see the Server folders in the Livedrive client software but can get to Drivepool's virtual pooled drive letter.  The problem is the sync software just does not seem to be able to deal with this virtual drive as it is throwing up lots of "the specified path was not found" errors.

Any thoughts on what the issue is?

Wouldn't set the backup from the Mount Point?

timekills

I'm not sure how much of this I should discuss here, but one way to do it is the old "tricking Windows into using network storage in your media folders" way. Ala create folder inside root drive, symlink folder to other folder (and if you are using as part of your "Pictures" or "Videos" or "Music" folders then delete the original folder so it goes directly to the symbolically linked folder.)

This is seen as a "local" folder both by the OS and and any associated software...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/afb904c1-1c61-4aae-b6b1-5cf525b9f8de/how-do-i-get-windows-7-to-index-a-network-mapped-drive

Add a non-indexed UNC as a library
===========================
1. Create a folder on your hard drive for shares. i.e. c:\share
2. Create another folder in the above share. i.e. c:\share\music
2. Link the Library to this folder. 
3. Delete the folder.
4. Use the mklink in an elevated command prompt to make a symbolic link. Name the link the same as the folder you created above. 
i.e - mklink /d c:\share\music \\server\music
5. Done. Now you have non-indexed UNC path as a library.

awraynor

@HSS Dave - Love the Wuala comment.

hopester

Has anyone tried backing up some folders in a Stablebit Drivepool?  I cannot see the Server folders in the Livedrive client software but can get to Drivepool's virtual pooled drive letter.  The problem is the sync software just does not seem to be able to deal with this virtual drive as it is throwing up lots of "the specified path was not found" errors.

Any thoughts on what the issue is?

Make sure your pool is set as NTFS not Cove FS, that might be causing the error.

I installed the free trial just to try it out for you but I hit another issue in that the client backed a folder up for me (on a standard non pooled disk) said it was uploading the files but I was watching my bandwidth and nothing was happening.

It then reported everything was complete so I tried a restore and it failed (as I expected it to as nothing had uploaded)

I will play around a bit more and report back.

hopester

Looks like it does not always upload the files when it says it does and the realtime backup option does not work. I always had to hit scan for it to find changes with realtime selected.

So to sum it up it can work with Stablebit Drivepool (maybe with drivepool set to NTFS) and your files do appear to upload it you leave it long enough but it can report backup complete even before it starts to upload files.

Dave

And that's DrivePool? I wonder if it does the same with Drive Bender?

hopester

And that's DrivePool? I wonder if it does the same with Drive Bender?

That's with either drivepool or a normal drive.

Dave

I'll look at mine when I get back to it. I've done some backups and can easily test this.

jsox

I asked the question on their support site and was told that deduplication does occur. No details, though, so I'm not sure if it relates only to whole files or to blocks.

Dave

I'm back from travels and can sit in front of my server again.  I had a large backup queued up while I was out but i've stopped it so I can do some testing.  I think I've made mad by removing the backup job.  Once my client is finished synchronizing I'll do some more testing of hopester's claim.

One thing in particular I saw was the client created all the folders and tombstone files for my backup but since it wasn't finished, obviously some files were not backed up and showed as "false" in the status box.  I was not able to restore those(obviously) and was able to restore other files that were marked "true" in the status box.