RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

DrivePop Cloud Backup $49.99 Lifetime for 1 PC

ikon

That's a great question. I don't know the answer but, if there aren't any, it sounds like a great business opportunity.

jmwills

I think if you encrypt your data before it gets to the cloud, you will be safe.  Meaning, they will encrypt what you encrypt.

ikon

Double encryption baby! :)

Dave

That's a great question. I don't know the answer but, if there aren't any, it sounds like a great business opportunity.

Maybe we get a couple of backers and give it a go? We can make a Jim Collison version that distributes tiny pieces on everyone's WHS.  Like Wuala.

jmwills

Double encryption baby! :)

I mean, you have Bit Locker readily available.....who actually uses it?  Raise your hand!

pcdoc

Though I fundamentally agree that there is nothing top secret about my photos either, I believe the point is how and who they/we are marketing to. They are touting there military grade security without providing any facts, claims, background etc.  As for PayPal, I prefer it too but that was not the point. There are times when I want the protection of my Amex or Visa card. Having had my bank account drained a couple years ago, I am very selective of where I use PayPal, ATMs, and direct withdrawal.  Most of the time I prefer the one phone call solution of calling AMEX and my problems disappear when something happens (which has also happened more than once). The real point is choice and protecting the sensitive information I provide and I just got a bad "impression" during the sign up. Maybe it’s just me, as I am very cautious, but I am thinking about all the people that want to use this as there one source solution.  I think it would be great if they were to come on the show and talk to everyone about the precautions and steps they have taken to protect their customers especially since HSS is linking to them.  Maybe my impressions are wrong and that would be awesome as I would jump on the deal in a second, but as it stands now I am still a bit concerned.  Just me…

Dave

Doc, you have legitimate concerns and I agreed.  I think they are limiting themselves by not having an arrangement with a visa/mc clearinghouse.(or whatever you call it)  I simply use Square. 

It also reminds me of everytime I leave Indiana and make a charge on my Discover card, they shut it down and start texting me! PITA but thanks for covering my butt!

okhomer

I have a question.  I am thinking about getting the $99 plan.  My question is can I set up accounts for family members to back up thier PCs?  I have a sister that is a photographer and is always looking for cheap cloud. 

Gary Pickard

Has anyone tried backing up some folders in a Stablebit Drivepool?  I cannot see the Server folders in the Livedrive client software but can get to Drivepool's virtual pooled drive letter.  The problem is the sync software just does not seem to be able to deal with this virtual drive as it is throwing up lots of "the specified path was not found" errors.

Any thoughts on what the issue is?

Dave

I'll send that question up and see if there is an answer.  That's a good scenario to be addressing.

As for multiple accounts, you get one set of credentials (per account) for Live Drive and that's it.  If you have the family plan or the Unlimited plan you can use multiple PC's as long as you are on the same network and using your original credentials.  I'm sure there is a "no mooching" clause somewhere in their terms.